Club looks for a new name
PORTISHEAD Youth Centre will be given a new name when it reopens on Monday.
The management committee has taken on the running of the Harbour Road building after North Somerset Council withdrew its funding for a youth service at the centre.
Now, to mark the beginning of a new era, young people are being asked to come up with a new name for the facility which hosts a wide range of community activities including evening youth club, pre-school day time activities and a community caf�.
Assistant manager of the centre Kim Dodd said: “It seems fitting to ask the young people who use the centre to come up with ideas for a new name. Although we now have to work constantly to secure funds to keep the centre operational, which is tough, these are exciting times and we are hoping someone will come up with a name and tag line that will reflects this.”
Under the new management, Portishead Youth Centre hopes to introduce new activities for the whole community including an increase in youth facilities.
You may also want to watch:
Kim added: “We are looking at new ideas including running cookery courses for teenagers to hosting live bands. We are also expanding our caf� facility, inviting members of the public to share a coffee or lunch with friends at the centre any time between 9am-6pm.”
Application forms to rename the centre are available at the Morgan Westley, The Outlet and The Sports Shop in High Street or from the youth centre itself.
- 1 ‘Perfect tribute’ as Clevedon Pier named pier of the year
- 2 Chief constable's bid to overturn ruling on PC's racist language dismissed
- 3 Nailsea & Backwell under-16s get better of Weston on return to rugby
- 4 Carpenter praises Clevedon following success over Chippenham
- 5 Business expansion plans get the go-ahead at Royal Portbury Dock
- 6 Nailsea teacher publishes book on cycling challenge
- 7 Suspension bridge to close for maintenance
- 8 Stunning and modern four-bedroom home near open countryside
- 9 Nailsea church awarded grant for repairs and reopening
- 10 THINGS TO DO: Inflatable theme park returns to Gatcombe Farm Shop