Close residents oppose extenison plans
CONCERNED villagers have again appealed to Backwell Parish Council to oppose a controversial extension for a property in Court Close.
The owners have submitted a third planning application to North Somerset Council, wanting to build a one-storey side extension to their property which is one metre higher than a second plan, which the authority had approved.
The Times reported last January that neighbours objected to the first plan, to knock down an existing garage and replace it with a two-storey extension incorporating a new one.
They said the extension would be too big, out of character with the rest of the street and would remove valuable parking spaces from the close.
The planning authority refused the application.
You may also want to watch:
Mike Crewe, who lives next door to the property, speaking at a meeting of the parish council, said: “The new plans have a ground floor and first floor, but I don’t know how you can call it a single-storey extension if it has two floors.
“It will be overbearing and completely out of character for the area.”
- 1 Business delivering fresh fish and meat plans to expand
- 2 Restaurants celebrate successful first week after April 12 reopening
- 3 Surfer sets up new water sports business in North Somerset
- 4 Volunteers collect vast amounts of rubbish from The Portbury Hundred
- 5 Floral display helping to cheer up shoppers in Nailsea
- 6 Cycling routes added to Nailsea Charity Walks fundraiser
- 7 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 8 How to order free Covid home tests
- 9 Restaurateur pledges to raise £5k for cinema
- 10 Nailsea Bowls Club captains open season in usual style
Chairman Bob Taylor said: “It’s a very nice close with expensive, larger than average, modern houses and gardens.
“The extension would be overpowering and would harm the character of the road and have a detrimental effect on the neighbours.”
Coucillors agreed to recommend a North Somerset Council planning officer visit the property and view it from Mr Crewe’s garden.
Cllr Taylor added: “If the officer approves the application it will go to a planning committee.
“I hope residents who have objected so far send in correspondence to the officer.”