Surgery move a possibility with new retirement complex as council objects to plans
PUBLISHED: 17:40 30 January 2019
McCarthy and Stone
Councillors are ‘deeply upset’ and ‘disappointed’ after learning Clevedon will not be getting a new GP surgery as part of an extra-care retirement complex.
McCarthy & Stone hopes to build 63 one or two-bedroom apartments near Tesco, in Kenn Road.
The plans also feature a health hub, which members of Clevedon Town Council were unhappy to discover last week would not host a new practice, but instead see one of the town’s surgeries relocate.
McCarthy & Stone’s planning consultant, Carla Fulgoni, told the meeting on January 23, the applicant is in talks with Mendip Vale Medical Practice about relocating its Sunnyside Surgery to the proposed development.
Mendip Vale is going through consultation on the matter.
North Somerset councillor Bob Garner, who observed the meeting, said: “I am deeply upset by this proposal and disappointed.
“The orientation of the building and the height will mean people on the third floor can look into the homes of people living nearby.
“Both of the surgeries in Clevedon are very busy indeed and I think to have any real distance between their locations will cause a lot of inconvenience.”
Cllr Garner’s fears were echoed by Clevedon Town Council, which saw its members unanimously object to the application put before North Somerset Council.
Cllr Barry Cherokoff said: “The story seems to have changed slightly.
He said: “The impressions which was given when this was first raised was that it was a retirement complex – it is now a complex to support the fragile elderly.”
He said a new GP surgery was ‘one of the few positives’ with the scheme but even that was no longer the case as it was likely to be a relocation within the town, rather than an extra resource.
Cllr Judith West also had concerns about people accessing the site, which leads onto a main road and is close to a bus stop.
A McCarthy & Stone spokesman said it was disappointed with the objections, saying the majority of residents who participated in a consultation event ‘supported the proposals in principle’.
They added: “We have worked hard with officers at North Somerset Council to bring forward a sensitive development of the dilapidated site.”
It promised to take the comments onboard as the application progresses.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.