Schools closed after water supply contaminated by sickness bug
PUBLISHED: 07:16 12 January 2018 | UPDATED: 07:45 15 January 2018
Three schools will be closed today (Friday) after water supplies were discovered to contain a sickness bug.
Clevedon School, plus Mary Elton and St John’s primary schools, made the decision last night (Thursday) to shut as a precaution.
Bristol Water is asking people to boil water being drinking it after a parasite was discovered which can lead to illness.
Parasite cryptosporidium was detected in the supply prompting it to ask customers to stick to bottled water where possible.
Its spokesman said yesterday evening: “Customers in the Clevedon area are asked to boil their water before use until further notice.
“The boil notice is affecting properties with postcode BS21 and a very small number in BS49.
“The notice is likely to be in place for at least 48 hours but those customers affected will be informed directly when the boil notices are removed.
“One test result from the raw water quality samples taken at the Clevedon treatment works detected cryptosporidium.
“Therefore, the advice to boil water is a precaution.
“The treatment works has been taken out of operation and the water is being supplied from a different treatment works.
“We are supplying bottled water to vulnerable customers in the area and we are contacting schools directly.
“Bristol Water staff will be hand delivering notices to properties affected by the notice and those staff are happy to answer any questions you may have.”
Bristol Water has closed its Clevedon treatment works while the problem is fixed.
Both Clevedon School and Mary Elton expect to reopen as normal on Monday.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.