Clevedon’s colours of spring
THE colours of spring were brought to Clevedon on Saturday with the spring show of the town’s gardeners’ club.
The Princes Hall in Princes Road played host to the 53rd annual event, which attracted more than 220 visitors to browse the colourful entries.
Despite the cold winter, a surprising number of items were entered into the many classes, which included daffodils, camelias, potted plants, vegetables, fruit, crafts, photography and cookery.
The number of entrants was slightly up on last year and several new entrants won prizes.
Christine Jarvis achieved the most points in bulbous classes, Carol Raines triumphed in the garden material category, Rita Bolwell earned the most points in photography and Mrs Hemsley was victorious in cookery.
You may also want to watch:
Rachiel Elliott won the most points in children’s classes and Eleanor Brain and Jennifer McHugh were joint winners of the most points in young adult classes.
The following awards were also handed to club members:
- 1 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 2 New school to open in Yatton later this year
- 3 £350k funds for North Somerset projects opens
- 4 How to order free Covid home tests
- 5 Nailsea Bowls Club captains open season in usual style
- 6 Group protests against new police and crime bill
- 7 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 8 Rotary thanks shoppers for foodbank donations in lockdowns
- 9 Marathon runner Ben Smith announces USA Challenge plans
- 10 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
Best entry in bulbous classes: Gisela Barnett
Best pot plant: Evelyn Martin
Best exhibit of garden material: Judith Knee
Best handicraft item: Victoria McHugh
Don Everitt Cup: Carol Raines
Ellen Burrows Trophy: Carol Raines
Garden voucher – Class A: Gisela Barnett
Garden voucher – Class B: Hazel Pedder
Narcissi – Tete a Tete: Gisela Barnett
Narcissi – Jetfire: Hazel Pedder