Quakers look back at meeting house history
PUBLISHED: 14:00 25 July 2018
A Quaker group has looked back at 150 remarkable years since its home opened.
The Clevedon Quakers Meeting House, in Albert Road, opened on July 5, 1868 and members of the house flung its doors wide open and invited people of all ages to come inside and look at its history.
The open day featured an exhibition of photos, letters and memorabilia from the past century and a half.
The house cost £500 to build – around £54,913 in today’s money and was designed by architect Hans Price, from Weston.
The land was leased from Sir Arthur Elton, of Clevedon Court, and Thomas Hartree was hired to build it.
A Quaker spokesman told the Times: “One thing is for sure, the meeting house will be here for some time yet, there will always be a warm welcome for visitors, with refreshments and a friendly chat after meetings.”
Today the building is used by Alcoholics Anonymous, yoga groups and CASA.