Clevedon man, 80, found to have suffered heart attack while missing for more than a day

PUBLISHED: 09:00 19 July 2017

John Urgyan

John Urgyan


An 80-year-old heart attack survivor’s daughter has spoken of her ‘frantic worry’ after he was found ‘severely dehydrated’ after going missing for more than 24 hours.

Janos Urgyan, known as John, suffers from Alzheimer’s disease and left his Clevedon home at about 7pm on July 5 – but was not seen again until he was found in Kenn at 9pm the next day.

The RNLI, mounted police and a specialist search team were all called out to help in the search for Mr Urgyan.

His daughter, Linda Reynolds, said: “My parents will often go out for a walk early evening, but my mum was feeling very tired so my dad went for the walk on his own which he has done many times before.

“He left the house at 7pm and was last seen by a neighbour at 8.30pm near The Little Harp pub.

“By 10pm my mum was getting worried, but still thought he would be back soon.

“The police were excellent and set up an information centre by the community centre.

“As the evening approached we were getting frantic with worry – we were starting to lose hope and didn’t want him to be out for another night alone in the dark.”

The following evening, Linda and her family walked along the seafront to appeal for information, while other families also assisted with the search.

But at about 9pm that night they were told Mr Urgyan had been found and was on his way to hospital.

Linda added: “A policeman who had been involved in the search during the day was off duty on his way home and spotted him walking at the side of the road near the Drum And Monkey pub in Kenn.

“He had fallen at some point and his clothes were muddy and torn.

“He was severely dehydrated, having not had anything to drink for 28 hours.

“He was put on a drip and after tests it was revealed he had a heart attack.

“We don’t know if this is what caused him to fall and become unconscious and disoriented, or if the fall and dehydration caused a heart attack.

“The response from the police to include the helicopter crew, dog and mounted units, and HM Coastguard was superbly organised and gave us great comfort knowing so much was being done to find him.

“Also, thank you to the other voluntary services including the RNLI and the people of Clevedon who went out looking and sent such lovely messages.”

Mr Urgyan is now recovering at home.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the North Somerset Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the North Somerset Times