Clevedon to host Great Big Green Week
- Credit: Clevedon Town Council
Clevedon is set to hold a week-long celebration of the town's actions to prevent climate change and champion green initiatives.
The Great Big Green Week kicks off with a market on September 18.
Clevedon Town Council's working party on climate change has organised the events, alongside residents in the town.
Wendy Clegg told the Times: "The Great Big Green Market will take place in Queen's Square from 10am to 4pm.
"Groups, businesses, and special interest groups will be providing green information products and services.
"The stalls include, a no more fossil fuels exhibition from Oxford, an art competition for adults and children, Plastic Free Clevedon, a tree-planting group and the Travel West Roadshow including electric bike trials and Dr Bike mechanic."
Local wildlife groups including the Southern Clevedon WI, YMCA, Clevedon Resilience and Sustainable Clevedon will also attend the market.
- 1 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 2 From cleaning windows to playing for Ashton & Backwell - Coleman's story
- 3 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 4 WIN: Tickets to Oasis concert screening at Clevedon's Curzon Cinema
- 5 Wildlife expert joins Portishead Arts Festival line-up
- 6 Huge housing extension planned for North Somerset town
- 7 Children encouraged to take up Covid jab
- 8 Hotel and wedding venue has seen business surge over summer
- 9 Clevedon's home match with Gordano will be 'hugely proud moment' for Owen
- 10 Ashton & Backwell United progress in FA Vase after win at Stonehouse Town
Mrs Clegg added: "It is a local market for local people. The Great Big Green Week will be an opportunity for us to celebrate together after the difficulties of the past year and look ahead to how we can create a cleaner, greener, healthier world."
Other events include multiple library displays throughout the week, a Grow Your Own Garden Trail on September 19, and a farmer's market on September 25.
Clevedon Town Council's vice-chair told the Times that now is the time to act against climate change.
Barry Cherokoff said: "This will be the largest event for climate and nature ever seen in the UK, instigated by the Climate Coalition.
"Thousands of events across the country will celebrate how communities are taking action to tackle climate change and protect green spaces, and encourage others to get involved too.
"We are currently seeing the impacts of extreme weather events caused by climate change on the people and places we love both here in the UK and abroad. The time is now to do everything we can to protect them.
"Our aim is that everyone in Clevedon can see how they can be involved to improve their community and their own lives - there is a multitude of ways that we can all make a positive impact on our own lives, and on those around us."
The Great Big Green Week is running from September 18-26. For more details on the events, log on to greatbiggreenweek.com/events/clevedons-great-big-green-week-2/