Warning after Clevedon dog dies from lethal infection

PUBLISHED: 16:00 17 February 2018 | UPDATED: 16:59 17 February 2018

People have been warned to vaccinate their dogs.

People have been warned to vaccinate their dogs.

Archant

A dog has died in Clevedon from a deadly infection, prompting a warning for owners.

Vets4Pets in Hither Green Industrial Estate confirmed a dog has died of leptospirosis and have urged owners to vaccinate their animals.

Leptospirosis – also known as Weil’s Disease – can be caught by humans through infected soil, freshwater or animal urine.

Symptoms include feeling sick, a very high temperature, loss of appetite and red eyes.

A Vets4Pets Clevedon spokesman said: “It is zoonotic which means it can spread to humans by contact and ingestion of infected urine and faeces.

“The liver is the main organ affected although the kidneys are often affected to.

“This is a condition that can be vaccinated against with an annual booster vaccination, which greatly reduces the risk of your dog contracting the condition or recovering if they do contract it.”

Most Read

Latest from the North Somerset Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists