Claire’s grand swimathon
A SALON owner was happy to get her hair wet for once when it meant raising �1,000 for Marie Curie Cancer Care.
Claire Evans, who runs Talkin’ Heads, in Backwell, took the plunge and swam 100 lengths of Weston’s Hutton Moor Leisure Centre pool during a charity swimathon.
The 49-year-old, who owns the hair salon with husband Barry, said she was ‘chuffed to bits’ after her customers rallied round to sponsor her.
She said: “The charity has touched so many people’s lives and has helped some of the salon’s clients in the past.
“I can’t quite believe how much money has been raised – it’s a fantastic amount.”
You may also want to watch:
The step-mother and step-grandmother, is a keen swimmer but has never competed in anything other than Cancer Research’s Race For Life before.
She added: “I swim every week and manage between 50 and 60 lengths, so to complete double that was quite a challenge.
- 1 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 2 Woodspring Women earn first ever win over Burnham United Ladies Reserves
- 3 Plans for 60 homes in village rejected after 800 objections
- 4 Village bar open again and wants people to help keep it running
- 5 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks
- 6 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 7 Pupils beat parents in school fun run
- 8 Nailsea & Backwell RFC thrash Stothert & Pitt to make it four wins from four
- 9 Town to celebrate art and crafts with inaugural festival
- 10 Gordano RFC edge out Clevedon RFC to maintain perfect start to season
“But I couldn’t have lived with myself if I hadn’t done it after saying I would.”