Claire’s grand swimathon
A SALON owner was happy to get her hair wet for once when it meant raising �1,000 for Marie Curie Cancer Care.
Claire Evans, who runs Talkin’ Heads, in Backwell, took the plunge and swam 100 lengths of Weston’s Hutton Moor Leisure Centre pool during a charity swimathon.
The 49-year-old, who owns the hair salon with husband Barry, said she was ‘chuffed to bits’ after her customers rallied round to sponsor her.
She said: “The charity has touched so many people’s lives and has helped some of the salon’s clients in the past.
“I can’t quite believe how much money has been raised – it’s a fantastic amount.”
You may also want to watch:
The step-mother and step-grandmother, is a keen swimmer but has never competed in anything other than Cancer Research’s Race For Life before.
She added: “I swim every week and manage between 50 and 60 lengths, so to complete double that was quite a challenge.
- 1 Portishead awarded GreenSeas Trust bin to tackle plastic pollution
- 2 Gorgeous three-bedroom character cottage in rural area, with annexe
- 3 Another North Somerset school hit with Covid cases
- 4 Man suffers head injuries after armed confrontation outside pub
- 5 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 6 New bike shelter opened at Weston General Hospital for Clean Air Day
- 7 North Somerset Covid cases increase by 170%
- 8 Portishead Summer Show announces 2021 dates
- 9 Circus Funtasia comes to Clevedon
- 10 Urgent call for Covid vaccine volunteers in North Somerset
“But I couldn’t have lived with myself if I hadn’t done it after saying I would.”