Church site is sold amid heritage fears
PORTISHEAD United Reformed Church (URC) has been sold after spending more than a year on the market.
The sale of the historic landmark in Cabstand has left residents wondering if more of the town’s heritage will be lost with the site’s development.
The church building, adjacent lodge and church hall were sold on August 21 to Land Promotions (Group), an organisation which has been acquiring sites ranging from surplus back gardens and derelict homes to empty pubs and dormant offices throughout Bristol, South Gloucestershire and North Somerset over the past four years. Many of the sites the group has acquired have been turned into family homes.
A spokesman for the organisation said it is mindful that the failed Masonic Lodge planning application for terraced houses without parking provision angered local residents, and they hope to learn by the mistakes others have made.
He added: “We have received interest from supermarket retailers, legal and accountancy office end users, specialist needs, retirement, affordable and high end open market housing.
You may also want to watch:
“Nothing is ruled in or out at this stage but we will seek consultation with our neighbours and the planning authority first and foremost.”
Members of Portishead URC held a short farewell service in the church prior to its handover to the new owners. A spokesman said: “Although it was a sad occasion, some very happy memories were shared and the congregation is looking forward to the future.”
- 1 Zoo farm 'distraught' after death of elephant
- 2 Unusual spike in Covid cases in parts of North Somerset
- 3 Controversial plans for Clevedon B&M set for approval
- 4 Pupils hike up mountain for school sports hall appeal
- 5 Royals praise North Somerset children's hospice
- 6 PICTURES: Backwell School throws leavers festival
- 7 Man forced to pay £2k for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 8 RNLI volunteer 'will be sorely missed'
- 9 Protest outside MP's office over police and crime bill
- 10 School staff praised for lockdown learning with ice cream treats
Worship now takes place at St Nicholas Church in Nore Road, more details of which can be found at www. portisheadurc.org.uk