Why this primary school has a giant sea eagle sculpture
- Credit: Chestnut Park
Yatton's latest primary school has installed a steel sculpture to welcome its first intake of pupils when they arrive in September.
A giant sea eagle now stands perched on Chestnut Park Primary School's grounds - showcasing the site's archaeological significance during excavations made before the school was built.
Between 2015 and 2018, several 'late prehistoric and Iron Age pits' were uncovered on the school site, one of which contained the claw of a sea eagle.
Headteacher, Tamara Dexter said: "The archaeological discoveries on the school site create a fascinating historical context for the children to learn about.
“The sea eagle statue and seating area will make a great place for school visitors to sit, talk and enjoy the school grounds. The children will also be curious about its origins, and I anticipate them having lots of questions about what was found beneath the school playing field.”
Clevedon artist, Hayley Jones, was commissioned for the art piece and described the opportunity as 'an honour'.
Chestnut Park, in Wheatear Road, will welcome its first reception class in September and later, in January, a preschool class.
- 1 'Red herrings' need to be ignored for Portishead Railway scheme
- 2 'I walked into a full-blown argument': Estate agent considering valuation charge for DIVORCING COUPLES
- 3 Fatal collision in Clevedon leaves man in his 70s dead
- 4 Festival date change due to Queen's platinum jubilee celebrations
- 5 Support for people with hidden disabilities living in North Somerset
- 6 Meet Clevedon's newest children's author
- 7 Santa routes for towns this December are revealed
- 8 Wurzels return to Cadbury House for pre-Christmas West Country knees up
- 9 Art gallery to host 'Clevedon artist of the year'
- 10 Portishead Players ready for Christmas show
The school will initially have 210 places overall with infrastructure already in place to increase its capacity to 420 places to meet future demand from local housing development.