Celebrate Curzon’s centenary
TWO days of celebrations will be held to mark the centenary of Clevedon’s historic cinema.
The weekend of April 21-22 will commemorate 100 years since The Curzon Community Cinema in Old Church Road opened its doors under the name, Picture House.
It has shown films continuously every since and is now run as a registered charity, with all profits used for education and maintenance purposes.
To recognise the cinema’s century, on April 21 from 11am-4pm a free open day will see the atmosphere of the early days of the Picture House recreated with the showing of films from the period. This will feature the Curzon’s unparalleled collection of cinema artefacts with a chance to explore the normally hidden parts of the venue.
The mini cinema on the top floor of the Curzon will also screen a programme of short films dating back to 1903, including The Great Train Robbery and D.W Griffith’s Painted Lady.
You may also want to watch:
From 11am on April 22 the collection will once again be open to visitors before, at 2.30pm, the cinema presents the Grand Opening Concert of the newly-installed and restored Christie cinema pipe organ. Byron Jones will play the organ accompanying the silent film, Race for a Life.
During the Sunday evening, a black-tie reception in the Oak Room will precede the screening of a restored version of A Night To Remember, which tells the tale of the sinking of the Titanic.
- 1 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 2 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 3 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 4 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 5 VIDEO: Police release CCTV footage after Nailsea graffiti damage
- 6 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 7 Clevedon CC captain Lintott selected by Southern Brave to play in The Hundred
- 8 Charming period house with stunning conservatory
- 9 Carpenter wants top Clevedon performance for President's Day
- 10 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'
Tickets for the organ concert cost �7, for A Night to Remember cost �7 and for both the reception and A Night To Remember film cost �12.
To book tickets call 01275 871000 or visit www.curzon.org.uk