CCTV wanted to deter shoplifters
A CALL has been made for CCTV cameras to be installed in Pill’s central shopping area to deter would-be thieves.
Some traders have seen an increase in the number of people trying to steal stock and some say they feel intimidated by groups of people causing a nuisance and sometimes being abusive.
One Baltic Place trader, who does not want to be named for fear of reprisals, has already installed cameras inside their shop in the hope of deterring or catching shoplifters.
They said: “I have had to move all my stock around in the shop so I can see the items they try to steal.
“They are coming into the shop in groups to try to distract me.
You may also want to watch:
“I have to catch them red-handed on my own before I can do anything about it.
“I think we do need cameras in this precinct.
- 1 PICTURES: Pub relaunches following major transformation
- 2 Pretty character cottage in Yatton outskirts
- 3 Earthfare celebrates launch in Portishead
- 4 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 5 WIN: Tickets to Oasis concert screening at Clevedon's Curzon Cinema
- 6 Hotel and wedding venue has seen business surge over summer
- 7 Highland calf born for first time in five years at zoo
- 8 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 9 Masked man caught spying on couple in North Somerset village
- 10 Clevedon to celebrate National Poetry Day
“I have been sat in my shop and seen another shop owner being pushed and shoved.”
Another trader said they would definitely support any additions that would increase security for people in the area.
It is believed the incidents of shop-lifting have increased since some new people moved to Pill.
Easton-in-Gordano Parish Council chairman Gerry Hunt said: “There is certainly a small number of incomers to the village who have been involved in quite a bit of shop lifting.
“However, there could be other places affected that could need cameras so where do you start?
“If the parish council became aware of any other incidents that were concerning us then CCTV could be something we look into.”
If the parish council did want to install a CCTV camera it would have to meet the installation costs as well as the transmissions costs from BT.
Members would also be advised to talk to North Somerset Council regarding the different options available to them.