Cash reward after pet deaths
A �1,000 cash reward has been put on offer after a number of cats died from antifreeze poisoning in North Somerset.
It is being put up by the animal welfare charity, PETA, in the hope of curbing the problem and catching anyone purposely poisoning animals.
In the past week, two cats are thought to have died from poisoning in Strode Road and Old Park Road in Clevedon. At the end of March three cats died in Valley Way Road and Greenfield Crescent in Nailsea.
Chairman of Clevedon PACT, Dave Brockington, has been instrumental in organising the reward after hearing of the recent deaths and has been putting up posters around the town.
He said: “These cats die in agony – it is really terrible.
You may also want to watch:
“There is the danger of copy cat acts.”
The �1,000 cash reward will be given to anyone who can provide information to the police or RSPCA leading to the conviction of someone who has purposely poisoned animals.
- 1 Controversial plans for Clevedon B&M set for approval
- 2 Pupils hike up mountain for school sports hall appeal
- 3 Radical overhaul of bus network could bring £50m boost to West
- 4 Clevedon girl, 4, wins music award
- 5 Another North Somerset school hit with Covid cases
- 6 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 7 Man suffers head injuries after armed confrontation outside pub
- 8 Conservative candidate chosen for by-election
- 9 Woodspring Women in hunt for new players over the age of 16 to join their side
- 10 North Somerset Stars lose out to Cheltenham rivals
A PETA spokesman said: “Because the spate of antifreeze poisonings in the North Somerset area may well be deliberate, guardians should accompany their four-legged family members when outdoors and keep a close eye on them.
“Anyone capable of deliberately poisoning defenceless animals demonstrates a deeply disturbed psychological state and must be found, or chances are, more animal companions will endure similarly agonising deaths.”
If pet owners spot early warning signs of antifreeze poisoning, which can include vomiting and also collapse, they should contact their vets immediately. If not treated, it can lead to kidney failure.
Car owners are also warned to dispose of antifreeze carefully, as it has a sweet taste which tempts animals to drink it.
Anyone with information should call police on 101 or the RSPCA on 03000 1234 999.