Carnival will take off with the Red Arrows
THE aerial acrobatics of the world famous Red Arrows will grace the Portishead skies this summer.
Residents Wendy Watkins and Jemma Cooper have pulled off the coup to kick off carnival weekend on June 15.
This will be the 10th year Wendy and Jemma have organised the town’s carnival and the Red Arrows display team is one of many surprises they have planned to celebrate the anniversary.
Thousands turned out to see the RAF display team when the carnival committee previously brought it to Portishead on the eve of the carnival in 2005.
It proved to be an historic day, with spectators packing the Lake Grounds, golf course, streets and gardens to watch the breathtaking flight over the Bristol Channel, where boats of spectators had also gathered.
You may also want to watch:
The dazzling 2012 air display is expected to begin at 6.30pm and last for 30 minutes.
Wendy said: “Ever since we had the Red Arrows in 2005 it’s been our dream to get them back to Portishead. We’ve never forgotten the excitement it triggered and it really brought the whole town together.”
- 1 Changes to North Somerset Council’s executive team announced
- 2 Contemporary living with lovely estuary views
- 3 Creation of 'flimsy' roles at £7,000 is 'indefensible', says North Somerset councillor
- 4 Lord-Lieutenant unveils memorial to commemorate village war dead
- 5 Surfer sets up new water sports business in North Somerset
- 6 April 12: Air ambulance charity has busiest week on record
- 7 Business delivering fresh fish and meat plans to expand
- 8 Cycling routes added to Nailsea Charity Walks fundraiser
- 9 Cleeve claim friendly win at Hambrook
- 10 How to order free Covid home tests
On June 16, the carnival will begin with a street procession from the Lake Grounds at noon.
This will wind its way through High Street to the show field at the bottom of Clapton Lane.
Jemma added: “We have some amazing acts on the field this year. Not only do we have an American band I met at Glastonbury, who are coming over especially for the event, but we also have The Wurzels once again, who are a regular fixture to the event and are a part of our carnival family.”
To enter a float in to the Portishead carnival procession email Wendy at firstname.lastname@example.org or to book a stall on the carnival field email email@example.com.