Carnival funds dished out
MORE local organisations than ever have benefited from Portishead carnival this year.
Thousands-of-pounds have been handed to more than 20 deserving charities and community groups by carnival organisers Wendy Watkins and Jemma Cooper.
Wendy said: “I feel really proud that we’ve given to so many groups this year, especially as due to the weather there was a point when I wondered if anybody would be coming to the carnival, let alone the event make a profit.”
Those who benefitted from the profits include Portishead Youth Centre’s Angel Appeal, the annual Senior Citizens’ Supper, Portishead Air Cadets 2494 Squadron, Portishead Christmas lights, Springboard Opportunity Group and Portishead in Bloom.
As well as giving funds to charities and community groups, the carnival committee has already set aside deposits to secure live bands for next year’s event and allocated funds for essentials to get the ball rolling for 2012.
You may also want to watch:
Next year will mark the 10th anniversary of the carnival operating under the wings of Wendy and Jemma who refused to let the event fold in 2002 when the previous organisers said they could no longer run it.
Over the past decade Portishead carnival has seen a street parade of half a dozen floats rise to a procession of more than 30 entries.
- 1 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 2 How to order free Covid home tests
- 3 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
- 4 Marathon runner Ben Smith announces USA Challenge plans
- 5 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 6 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 7 Celebrations after non-essential shops and pubs reopen in North Somerset
- 8 Trigger chosen to develop project for Festival UK* 2022
- 9 Special school expansion progress
- 10 Jones "proud" of what he achieved with Ashton & Backwell United
The 2012 carnival will take place on June 16.
Here is the full list of beneficiaries from this year’s event:
Portishead Youth Centre - Angel Appeal
Portishead Golden Oldies Singing Group
Portishead Old Folks Supper
Portishead Christmas Lights
Portishead In Bloom
Portishead Air Cadets 2494 Squadron
The Friends Of Bristol Heamatology & Oncology
Portishead Town Football Club
Gordano Rugby Club Lights Appeal in memory of Jimmy Gilmore
Portishead First Responders
Wessex 4x4 response vehicles
Highdown Infants School PTA
Gordano School PTA
Portishead Rotary Club
The Lions Club of Portishead
Jubilee Day Care Centre
Royal British Legion (Somerset Riders)
North Somerset Caring Group
Springboard Opportunity Group