Carnival funds dished out
MORE local organisations than ever have benefited from Portishead carnival this year.
Thousands-of-pounds have been handed to more than 20 deserving charities and community groups by carnival organisers Wendy Watkins and Jemma Cooper.
Wendy said: “I feel really proud that we’ve given to so many groups this year, especially as due to the weather there was a point when I wondered if anybody would be coming to the carnival, let alone the event make a profit.”
Those who benefitted from the profits include Portishead Youth Centre’s Angel Appeal, the annual Senior Citizens’ Supper, Portishead Air Cadets 2494 Squadron, Portishead Christmas lights, Springboard Opportunity Group and Portishead in Bloom.
As well as giving funds to charities and community groups, the carnival committee has already set aside deposits to secure live bands for next year’s event and allocated funds for essentials to get the ball rolling for 2012.
You may also want to watch:
Next year will mark the 10th anniversary of the carnival operating under the wings of Wendy and Jemma who refused to let the event fold in 2002 when the previous organisers said they could no longer run it.
Over the past decade Portishead carnival has seen a street parade of half a dozen floats rise to a procession of more than 30 entries.
- 1 PICTURES: Clevedon Marine Lake releases Eco-pod design plan
- 2 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 3 Bristol International Balloon Fiesta launches Fiesta Fortnight event
- 4 Village pub conversion rejected by council
- 5 Clevedon Skatepark shut over safety fears
- 6 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 7 Live music returns to village this weekend
- 8 WIN: Tickets to The Courier at Clevedon's Curzon Cinema
- 9 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 10 Green light for active travel scheme
The 2012 carnival will take place on June 16.
Here is the full list of beneficiaries from this year’s event:
Portishead Youth Centre - Angel Appeal
Portishead Golden Oldies Singing Group
Portishead Old Folks Supper
Portishead Christmas Lights
Portishead In Bloom
Portishead Air Cadets 2494 Squadron
The Friends Of Bristol Heamatology & Oncology
Portishead Town Football Club
Gordano Rugby Club Lights Appeal in memory of Jimmy Gilmore
Portishead First Responders
Wessex 4x4 response vehicles
Highdown Infants School PTA
Gordano School PTA
Portishead Rotary Club
The Lions Club of Portishead
Jubilee Day Care Centre
Royal British Legion (Somerset Riders)
North Somerset Caring Group
Springboard Opportunity Group