Car valets have brighter future ahead
- Credit: supplied
FORMER servicemen and people with disabilities are being supported back into work thanks to a new scheme in Portishead.
Housing and care provider Alliance Homes has teamed up with a social enterprise called Pluss to launch a new car cleaning service at its base in Martingale Way.
Pluss supports people with disabilities and other disadvantages to find employment and training, and seemed the perfect partner for Alliance Homes to launch Future Clean with.
Alliance Homes business enterprise manager Michael Williams said: “This is an exciting venture for Alliance Homes as Future Clean is about helping people, and people are at the heart of everything we do.
“As a social enterprise, we believe we have a duty to help people get the skills, aspirations and confidence they need to stay in long-term employment and our Future Clean service allows us to do this.”
You may also want to watch:
Recruitment for valets has been carried out through the Career Transition Partnership which is part of the Ministry of Defence, the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) and westonworks in Weston.
The first two people to be appointed are Martyn Cowd, from Weston, who was injured while serving in Afghanistan, and Stephen Nicholls, who lost his eyesight but following a cornea transplant was able to see again and wanted to return to work.
- 1 Zoo farm 'distraught' after death of elephant
- 2 Unusual spike in Covid cases in parts of North Somerset
- 3 Controversial plans for Clevedon B&M set for approval
- 4 Man forced to pay £2k for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 5 Pupils hike up mountain for school sports hall appeal
- 6 PICTURES: Backwell School throws leavers festival
- 7 RNLI volunteer 'will be sorely missed'
- 8 School staff praised for lockdown learning with ice cream treats
- 9 ‘You’ve been flamingoed!”
- 10 Royals praise North Somerset children's hospice
Future Clean, which is environmentally-friendly and uses minimal water to clean cars, will initially operate in Portishead but Alliance Homes is working with councils and businesses to identify more sites in Bristol and North Somerset.
To find out more call 03000 120120.