By-election for Backwell seat
RESIDENTS in and around Backwell will go to the polls on Thursday to vote for the next person to represent them on North Somerset Council.
A by-election is being held for the unitary authority’s Backwell ward seat, which also covers Barrow Gurney, Flax Bourton, Felton and Brockley.
This follows the death of the popular and long-standing independent councillor, Tom Collinson, who died suddenly when he suffered a heart attack at his home in Dark Lane on June 29.
He had been re-elected to North Somerset Council just more than a month earlier, during the district-wide elections on May 5.
Four candidates have put themselves forward for tomorrow’s poll, one for each of the main three parties and one independent.
You may also want to watch:
The Liberal Democrat representative Nick Alderton lives in Portishead, the Conservative candidate Peter Burden also lives in Portishead, Terry Connell from Nailsea is the Labour party representative and Geoff Coombes from Barrow Gurney and chairman of Barrow Gurney Parish Council is the independent candidate.
Residents can vote between 7am-10pm at the following polling stations: Backwell Parish Hall in Station Road, Backwell; Felton Village Hall in West Lane, Felton; Barrow Gurney Village Hall in Barrow Street, Barrow Gurney; Flax Bourton Village Hall in Old Weston Road, Flax Bourton and at a mobile unit at the Brockley Stores in Main Road, Brockley.
- 1 Unusual spike in Covid cases in parts of North Somerset
- 2 Zoo farm 'distraught' after death of elephant
- 3 Man forced to pay £2k for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 4 Elton John to perform in Bristol next year
- 5 Have your say about possible development surrounding Weston Big Wood
- 6 Public consultation begins on proposed improvements along the A38
- 7 Controversial plans for Clevedon B&M set for approval
- 8 School staff praised for lockdown learning with ice cream treats
- 9 ‘You’ve been flamingoed!”
- 10 Pupils hike up mountain for school sports hall appeal
A count of votes will take place at Backwell Parish Hall at 10pm the same day.