YMCA’s transformation of stately home nominated for award
- Credit: Archant
A former stately home which has been converted into a nursery and wedding venue has been nominated for an award just eight months after it opened.
The Somerset branch of the YMCA bought Barley Wood House in Wrington in 2015 and sought about renovating and transforming the site.
It has now been nominated in the work experience provider of the year category at the Weston College Business Awards, which were established six years ago.
Martin Hodgson, the chief executive officer of YMCA Somerset Coast is delighted by the recognition so soon after its takeover.
He said: “It is incredibly exciting that within just eight months of opening, we have been nominated for this award.
You may also want to watch:
“It bodes well for our future at Barley Wood and for the young people we will be working with. It has also spurred us on through the final stages of the building’s refurbishment.”
The YMCA also confirmed it is continuing Barley Wood’s use as a building which benefits the wider community by setting up links with nearby scout groups.
- 1 Decision on Portishead Station delayed until next year
- 2 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 3 Claim for judicial review delays school expansion for vulnerable children
- 4 Beautiful Edwardian villa near Clevedon's seafront
- 5 Life-saving equipment installed in town
- 6 Clevedon Marine Lake to be drained
- 7 Cliff Richard concert to be live streamed in cinemas
- 8 Ashton & Backwell United bow out of Buildbase FA Vase after Bemerton Heath Harlequins defeat
- 9 Halloween 2021: What Halloween events are taking place in North Somerset?
- 10 North Somerset residents at risk of PCR lab mix up
The charity said it is in the process of establishing an agreement to use the space with the 1st Burrington and Wrington group, and is also looking into the possibility of setting up an open space at the site for more members of the community to enjoy.
The YMCA offers social enterprise schemes at Barley Wood House which give apprentices the chance to gain experience and qualifications in hospitality, childcare and grounds management.