YMCA’s transformation of stately home nominated for award
- Credit: Archant
A former stately home which has been converted into a nursery and wedding venue has been nominated for an award just eight months after it opened.
The Somerset branch of the YMCA bought Barley Wood House in Wrington in 2015 and sought about renovating and transforming the site.
It has now been nominated in the work experience provider of the year category at the Weston College Business Awards, which were established six years ago.
Martin Hodgson, the chief executive officer of YMCA Somerset Coast is delighted by the recognition so soon after its takeover.
He said: “It is incredibly exciting that within just eight months of opening, we have been nominated for this award.
You may also want to watch:
“It bodes well for our future at Barley Wood and for the young people we will be working with. It has also spurred us on through the final stages of the building’s refurbishment.”
The YMCA also confirmed it is continuing Barley Wood’s use as a building which benefits the wider community by setting up links with nearby scout groups.
- 1 Store refurbishment creates fresh job opportunities in Portishead
- 2 Business owner sentenced for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 3 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 4 North Somerset nurses retire following more than 80 years of combined service to the NHS
- 5 Preparing for a popular traditional Christmas light display in Kenn
- 6 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 7 Flying club to stage 24-hour flight simulation for charity
- 8 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
The charity said it is in the process of establishing an agreement to use the space with the 1st Burrington and Wrington group, and is also looking into the possibility of setting up an open space at the site for more members of the community to enjoy.
The YMCA offers social enterprise schemes at Barley Wood House which give apprentices the chance to gain experience and qualifications in hospitality, childcare and grounds management.