YMCA’s transformation of stately home nominated for award
- Credit: Archant
A former stately home which has been converted into a nursery and wedding venue has been nominated for an award just eight months after it opened.
The Somerset branch of the YMCA bought Barley Wood House in Wrington in 2015 and sought about renovating and transforming the site.
It has now been nominated in the work experience provider of the year category at the Weston College Business Awards, which were established six years ago.
Martin Hodgson, the chief executive officer of YMCA Somerset Coast is delighted by the recognition so soon after its takeover.
He said: “It is incredibly exciting that within just eight months of opening, we have been nominated for this award.
“It bodes well for our future at Barley Wood and for the young people we will be working with. It has also spurred us on through the final stages of the building’s refurbishment.”
The YMCA also confirmed it is continuing Barley Wood’s use as a building which benefits the wider community by setting up links with nearby scout groups.
- 1 Superb, high-spec house in a Nailsea hotspot
- 2 North Somerset flytipper pays £1,600 after dumping bathtub
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 Police rescue broken down bride - and get her to the wedding on time
- 5 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 6 Clevedon Choral back after 18 month hiatus caused by pandemic
- 7 Construction finally begins for special educational needs school
- 8 Clevedon Library to close for THREE MONTHS for major refurb
- 9 Gardens on view for Clevedon wildlife trail
- 10 IN THE DOCK: Man in court after using daughter's blue badge to park in Weston
The charity said it is in the process of establishing an agreement to use the space with the 1st Burrington and Wrington group, and is also looking into the possibility of setting up an open space at the site for more members of the community to enjoy.
The YMCA offers social enterprise schemes at Barley Wood House which give apprentices the chance to gain experience and qualifications in hospitality, childcare and grounds management.