Wetherspoons ‘will not open for Christmas’
- Credit: Archant
Portishead’s new Wetherspoons pub will not be open before Christmas, the company has told the Times this week.
Its new premises, along with shops Home Bargains and Majestic Wine, is being built off Harbour Road.
Construction has been taking place throughout the year, but while the shops are expected to be open within weeks, the pub does not have an opening date planned. However, Wetherspoons says work is still progressing and has announced the new pub will be called The Posset Cup.
Wetherspoons tends to give its pubs names which relate to the area the business is based. It considered nine options, including The Compass Rose, The Gold Anchor and The Old Sea Bank.
Posset has been linked with the town since the creation of the Domesday Book and there are several modern day links too.
You may also want to watch:
Portishead Town football Club’s nickname is the Posset and the Posset Pieces is a twice-yearly publication about the town.
The shops and pub are being built by Loc8 Developments, which also built the town’s Lidl, Travelodge and Subway.
- 1 Where in North Somerset can you celebrate Christmas in church this year?
- 2 Car show produced in Clevedon proving to be popular among petrolheads
- 3 Christmas messages to honour loved ones with Portishead Tree of Light
- 4 Town council appeals for grit bin monitors in Portishead
- 5 Festive display brightens shopping areas across Clevedon
- 6 Asymptomatic coronavirus testing pilot starts with college students from next week
- 7 Yatton artist releases charity single with Hamilton star
- 8 Portishead building firm wins national award
- 9 New bike racks installed in Portishead High Street
- 10 Ashton & Backwell's season could "crumble" warns Jones
Its managing director, Mark Kennedy, said the shops could be open by the end of the month.
A Wetherspoons spokesman said: “The developer is undertaking the initial building works and when that is completed Wetherspoons will then be in a position to start developing the site.
“At present there are no on site or opening dates, so it will not open for Christmas.”