VIP opens town’s new Asda
CLEVEDON’S latest supermarket was officially opened by a local hero nominated for the honour by the town’s residents.
The Asda store in Tweed Road opened its doors on Monday morning with Ann Meredith, aged 74 of Ashgrove, chosen as the VIP guest.
Before the shop was launched, Asda made an appeal for someone considered a local hero to be put forward to officially open the store.
As a result, Ann was chosen for her outstanding work with a number of community associations. As a long-standing member of both Clevedon Lions and Clevedon Pride, Ann has spent many hours improving the appearance of the town. She is also dedicated to organising events and raising funds to support the town’s elderly residents, those with learning difficulties or special needs, numerous youths groups including the air and army cadets, and even Portishead’s lifeboat.
Ann said: “This is wonderful news but I would like to point out that I’m just one of many. I would to like to dedicate this to all the fantastic volunteers I work alongside every week.”
You may also want to watch:
Also helping to officially open the store were town councillors Jon Middleton and Jane Geldart along with North Somerset councillor Linda Knott. Musical entertainment was provided by Clevedon’s Salvation Army band.
New store manager Rob Robertson said: “I’d like to thank everyone for their local hero nominations and we are very pleased to be able to honour Ann’s contribution to Clevedon.”
- 1 Health leaders urge people to keep following Covid guidelines as rates begin to drop in North Somerset
- 2 Portishead building firm wins national award
- 3 New bike racks installed in Portishead High Street
- 4 Call for action to reduce rising infection rates in secondary schools
- 5 Actress urges people to get behind hospice appeal
- 6 Business in Kenn nominated for prestigious Business Leader Awards
- 7 Festive display brightens shopping areas across Clevedon
- 8 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 9 Christmas lights lift spirits in Portishead
- 10 Business owner sentenced for fly-tipping in North Somerset
As well as stocking food, the new Asda also features a George clothing department.