VIP opens town’s new Asda
CLEVEDON’S latest supermarket was officially opened by a local hero nominated for the honour by the town’s residents.
The Asda store in Tweed Road opened its doors on Monday morning with Ann Meredith, aged 74 of Ashgrove, chosen as the VIP guest.
Before the shop was launched, Asda made an appeal for someone considered a local hero to be put forward to officially open the store.
As a result, Ann was chosen for her outstanding work with a number of community associations. As a long-standing member of both Clevedon Lions and Clevedon Pride, Ann has spent many hours improving the appearance of the town. She is also dedicated to organising events and raising funds to support the town’s elderly residents, those with learning difficulties or special needs, numerous youths groups including the air and army cadets, and even Portishead’s lifeboat.
Ann said: “This is wonderful news but I would like to point out that I’m just one of many. I would to like to dedicate this to all the fantastic volunteers I work alongside every week.”
You may also want to watch:
Also helping to officially open the store were town councillors Jon Middleton and Jane Geldart along with North Somerset councillor Linda Knott. Musical entertainment was provided by Clevedon’s Salvation Army band.
New store manager Rob Robertson said: “I’d like to thank everyone for their local hero nominations and we are very pleased to be able to honour Ann’s contribution to Clevedon.”
- 1 Five sites get Green Flag status
- 2 Officer's final written warning after sending inappropriate messages
- 3 Bristol Combination Vase: Nailsea & Backwell RFC looking to create history says Hill
- 4 WIN: Tickets to Cliff Richard live concert screening
- 5 North Somerset authors publish books
- 6 Nailsea & Backwell RFC v Bristol Imperial RFC LIVE BLOG
- 7 Road group condemns 'unacceptable traffic misery' in village
- 8 Councillor calls for misogyny to be classed as hate crime
- 9 Coffee morning raises hundreds of pounds for two charities
- 10 Appeal after man injured in robbery
As well as stocking food, the new Asda also features a George clothing department.