Town centre to be redeveloped?
AN AREA of Nailsea town centre could soon undergo a huge overhaul with a ‘comprehensive redevelopment’ and the possible introduction of a new supermarket.
It is believed the town centre owner, Development Securities, has hopes of revamping an area near to the library and HSBC, in the pedestrianised Colliers Walk and Somerset Square.
Brief details of the scheme have been included in a planning application submitted by HSBC, which has asked to change the use of a bigger unit in Colliers Walk, currently occupied by a YMCA charity shop, for the bank to move into.
This comes after Development Securities used a break clause to terminate the bank’s lease at its current premises.
As part of the HSBC planning application submitted to North Somerset Council, one document says its current unit is included in an area where the shopping centre owners have aspirations for a ‘comprehensive redevelopment’ including the provision of a food store.
While asset manager for Development Securities, Ellandi, will not confirm further details of such a scheme, the company has said there may be a future development and that it hopes to announce deals with new retailers next year.
Ellandi, partner at the asset management company, said: “We are working with HSBC to relocate them to a larger unit, which they had a requirement for in Nailsea.
- 1 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 2 Named: 52 people fined for dropping cigarettes and dogs off leads
- 3 Man jailed for stealing high-powered cars
- 4 Free Platinum Jubilee events in Portishead
- 5 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 6 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 7 Public urged to review sites allocated for housing in North Somerset
- 8 Winners of Clevedon artist of the year announced
- 9 Hotshot Lock nets hat-trick of awards for Nailsea Juniors
- 10 Nailsea & Backwell RFC boosted by Barratt Homes sponsorship deal
“This also releases their existing premises which may form part of a future redevelopment within Nailsea town centre.
“Having owned the scheme for just over a year we are very pleased with the progress we have made attracting new national retailers such as Store 21 and Cargo.
“Additionally we have a handful of new deals that we hope to be able to announce early in the New Year.”