Thomas Cook future unclear
- Credit: Archant
THE long-term future of Thomas Cook in Nailsea has been thrown into doubt.
The firm has announced plans to close 195 on the 1,069 stores it currently operates.
Around 2,500 jobs will go too, although the majority of these will be back office staff members.
So far the travel company has not confirmed which of its stores will close, but it could jeopardise the future of the shop in Nailsea’s Somerset Square.
Thomas Cook announced pre-tax losses of more than £480million last September.
You may also want to watch:
Its continental Europe and UK chief executive, Peter Fankhauser, said Thomas Cook would continue to have a High Street presence across the country.
He said: “It is never easy to make decisions that impact directly on our people, but we also owe it to our customers to shape the business effectively and ensure that, when they book their holiday with us, our administrative costs are as low as possible.”
- 1 Decision on Portishead Station delayed until next year
- 2 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 3 Claim for judicial review delays school expansion for vulnerable children
- 4 Beautiful Edwardian villa near Clevedon's seafront
- 5 Life-saving equipment installed in town
- 6 Clevedon Marine Lake to be drained
- 7 Cliff Richard concert to be live streamed in cinemas
- 8 Ashton & Backwell United bow out of Buildbase FA Vase after Bemerton Heath Harlequins defeat
- 9 Halloween 2021: What Halloween events are taking place in North Somerset?
- 10 North Somerset residents at risk of PCR lab mix up