Theatre academy given new tops
- Credit: Archant
BUDDING thespians keen to reach for the stars can pick up some skills and tips at a theatre school in Nailsea.
Jo Parsons, aged 26, began running a Youth Music Theatre Academy during the school holidays to give children the opportunity to learn from West End stars.
The classes were so popular he has now set up a Saturday school, which runs every week during term time.
He said: “I’m based in London, so the idea was to bring West End professionals to Nailsea to teach the pupils.
“We’ve got 37 people signed up so far and I’ve hired some great teachers from the local area to run it.”
You may also want to watch:
The sessions are held at Nailsea School, in Mizzymead Road - Jo’s former school - from 9.30am-12.30pm and pupils do an hour each of acting, singing and dancing.
During each term the students get a taste of show business with a tour of the Hippodrome in Bristol or a visit from West End stars from Top Hat and Cats. Classes are open to children aged six-18, although Jo is opening the theatre group up to younger children next month.
- 1 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 2 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 3 Hinkley dredging is safe, say project leaders
- 4 Neighbourhood plan to go before council next month
- 5 Portishead Art Trail splash sculpture gets a refurb
- 6 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 7 Responses to Portishead Lake Grounds consultation published
- 8 Youngsters enjoy pumpkin picking at farm
- 9 Bristol and Weston NHS charities merge under new name
- 10 PICTURES: Lions charity surprises Clevedon residents
On November 1, a free taster session is being held at Nailsea School for children aged four to six.
The class will last from 10-11.15am and anyone keen to go along can register their interest by emailing email@example.com
Members of the group were given a surprise gift at the weekend after a number of businesses paid for matching tops for the theatre school. The t-shirts were sponsored by The Link at Nailsea School, HR Visuals sponsored the hoodies and the clothing was printed by Pro Peaks.