Television firm Freemans celebrates 50 years in Portishead
- Credit: Archant
Five decades of providing high-quality technology for people was marked by a Portishead business last week.
Television and audio engineer Cliff Freeman opened a store on The Triangle, West Hill in Portishead on January 20, 1967, where he sold and serviced black and white televisions, radiograms, record players, cassette recorders and radios.
When the first colour sets arrived in 1968, they were priced at 350 guineas. As few locals had that money to spend on home entertainment, Freemans started renting colour televisions to people and soon had more than 1,000 rental customers.
The business moved to its current home in High Street after eight years and has since experienced dramatic changes in both products and technical development. Cliff retired in 2010 but ownership of the business remains in the family.
Freemans has always traded on its reputation for quality and service and offers highly competitive prices along with superb sales service.
You may also want to watch:
Liam Sagar and Jason Bamfield lead the team who are dedicated to providing a high standard of personal service to customers.
Sales manager Jason said: “Many independent television retailers have closed because they did not adapt to a changing and challenging market.
- 1 Primary school shuts after staff members test positive for coronavirus
- 2 Store refurbishment creates fresh job opportunities in Portishead
- 3 Business owner sentenced for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 4 Seek appointment with GP for persistent stomach troubles, urges NHS and Public Health England campaign
- 5 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 6 North Somerset nurses retire following more than 80 years of combined service to the NHS
- 7 Preparing for a popular traditional Christmas light display in Kenn
- 8 Bristol Airport welcomes new testing strategy for arrivals
- 9 Impressive, four-floor detached house with sea views
- 10 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
“With our pro-active approach we are striving to provide the best customer service and products at very competitive prices.
“We are at the forefront with new products such as Sky Q for ultra-high definition now in-store and a new range of Panasonic and Sony OLED ultra-slim displays arriving soon.
“Many other exciting developments and launches are also on the way to ensure Freemans will be celebrating another 50 years of trading.”