Supermarket sale for another Aldi store
- Credit: Archant
A NEW Aldi supermarket will open in Portishead following the sale of the town’s Co-Operative Food store.
The Co-Operative shop in Wyndham Way will close in mid-February after a deal was made to sell the building to the rapidly-expanding discount supermarket chain.
A spokesperson for The Co-operative Food said: “We have agreed the sale of our store in Wyndham Way, Portishead, to Aldi. It will close as a Co-operative Food store in mid-February.
“Staff at the store have been informed of the decision, which has been taken with the greatest reluctance and is not, in any way, a reflection on the commitment and hard work of the store team.
“Every effort is being made to redeploy as many as possible of the 50 members of staff with The Co-operative, or to help them find alternative employment.”
You may also want to watch:
The Times contacted Aldi for details of when it plans to open its new store in Portishead, as well as for an opening date for a supermarket it is currently building at Hither Green Industrial Estate in Clevedon, but no reply was received as the Times went to press yesterday (Tuesday).
- 1 Man charged with possession of offensive weapon in village
- 2 Bristol Balloon Fiesta: Organisers planning 2021 event
- 3 Man with long Covid urges others to take virus seriously
- 4 May 17: Which pubs are reopening in North Somerset?
- 5 May 17: Bristol Airport 'disappointed' with green list
- 6 Lions fund noticeboard for Backwell viewpoint
- 7 Clevedon AC members enjoy Glastonbury 10k outing
- 8 Mixed fortunes for Clevedon LTC teams on league return
- 9 Call for community to support 'vital' children's hospice
- 10 LOCAL BY-ELECTION: Portishead East district and town councillors elected