Supermarket sale for another Aldi store
- Credit: Archant
A NEW Aldi supermarket will open in Portishead following the sale of the town’s Co-Operative Food store.
The Co-Operative shop in Wyndham Way will close in mid-February after a deal was made to sell the building to the rapidly-expanding discount supermarket chain.
A spokesperson for The Co-operative Food said: “We have agreed the sale of our store in Wyndham Way, Portishead, to Aldi. It will close as a Co-operative Food store in mid-February.
“Staff at the store have been informed of the decision, which has been taken with the greatest reluctance and is not, in any way, a reflection on the commitment and hard work of the store team.
“Every effort is being made to redeploy as many as possible of the 50 members of staff with The Co-operative, or to help them find alternative employment.”
You may also want to watch:
The Times contacted Aldi for details of when it plans to open its new store in Portishead, as well as for an opening date for a supermarket it is currently building at Hither Green Industrial Estate in Clevedon, but no reply was received as the Times went to press yesterday (Tuesday).
- 1 North Somerset residents at risk of PCR lab mix up
- 2 Clevedon Marine Lake to be drained
- 3 Mental health safe space unveiled in Nailsea
- 4 Five sites get Green Flag status
- 5 Estate agents invites children to create Halloween window displays
- 6 Charity days raise more than £40k for local causes
- 7 Life-saving equipment installed in town
- 8 Portishead salon to wear all pink for breast cancer fundraiser
- 9 Camera club wants new members to join
- 10 Nailsea United edged out six goal thriller at Chilcompton Sports