Supermarket sale for another Aldi store
- Credit: Archant
A NEW Aldi supermarket will open in Portishead following the sale of the town’s Co-Operative Food store.
The Co-Operative shop in Wyndham Way will close in mid-February after a deal was made to sell the building to the rapidly-expanding discount supermarket chain.
A spokesperson for The Co-operative Food said: “We have agreed the sale of our store in Wyndham Way, Portishead, to Aldi. It will close as a Co-operative Food store in mid-February.
“Staff at the store have been informed of the decision, which has been taken with the greatest reluctance and is not, in any way, a reflection on the commitment and hard work of the store team.
“Every effort is being made to redeploy as many as possible of the 50 members of staff with The Co-operative, or to help them find alternative employment.”
You may also want to watch:
The Times contacted Aldi for details of when it plans to open its new store in Portishead, as well as for an opening date for a supermarket it is currently building at Hither Green Industrial Estate in Clevedon, but no reply was received as the Times went to press yesterday (Tuesday).
- 1 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 2 North Somerset nurses retire following more than 80 years of combined service to the NHS
- 3 Preparing for a popular traditional Christmas light display in Kenn
- 4 Store refurbishment creates fresh job opportunities in Portishead
- 5 Impressive, four-floor detached house with sea views
- 6 Bristol Airport welcomes new testing strategy for arrivals
- 7 Business owner sentenced for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 8 Primary school shuts after staff members test positive for coronavirus
- 9 Portishead Town set up Community Christmas Cheer to help local town
- 10 Seek appointment with GP for persistent stomach troubles, urges NHS and Public Health England campaign