Staff welcome record holder
- Credit: supplied
STAFF at Clevedon’s Junior Poon restaurant welcomed the fastest man on earth when he popped in for a bite to eat.
Wing Commander Andy Green OBE holds the World Land Speed Record of 763mph, making him the only person in history to drive faster than the speed of sound.
He was in North Somerset after being invited to give a talk to Woodspring Wings Model Aircraft Club about the record which he set in 1997 and also his hopes at achieving 1,000mph next year in the new supersonic car, Bloodhound SSC.
Andy is an RAF fighter pilot and was invited to the club by wing commander Bob Turner, who then treated him to a meal at the Hill Road restaurant.
Its owner Junior Poon said: “Andy is not a face most people may recognise but I applaud the risk he has taken and bringing us one step forward for mankind, in one of the most exciting science experiments in history.
You may also want to watch:
“Not many would risk or be able to do what he has done.
“He is such a humble and approachable guy.”
- 1 Man charged with possession of offensive weapon in village
- 2 Bristol Balloon Fiesta: Organisers planning 2021 event
- 3 Man with long Covid urges others to take virus seriously
- 4 May 17: Which pubs are reopening in North Somerset?
- 5 May 17: Bristol Airport 'disappointed' with green list
- 6 Lions fund noticeboard for Backwell viewpoint
- 7 Clevedon AC members enjoy Glastonbury 10k outing
- 8 Call for community to support 'vital' children's hospice
- 9 Mixed fortunes for Clevedon LTC teams on league return
- 10 LOCAL BY-ELECTION: Portishead East district and town councillors elected