Staff welcome record holder
- Credit: supplied
STAFF at Clevedon’s Junior Poon restaurant welcomed the fastest man on earth when he popped in for a bite to eat.
Wing Commander Andy Green OBE holds the World Land Speed Record of 763mph, making him the only person in history to drive faster than the speed of sound.
He was in North Somerset after being invited to give a talk to Woodspring Wings Model Aircraft Club about the record which he set in 1997 and also his hopes at achieving 1,000mph next year in the new supersonic car, Bloodhound SSC.
Andy is an RAF fighter pilot and was invited to the club by wing commander Bob Turner, who then treated him to a meal at the Hill Road restaurant.
Its owner Junior Poon said: “Andy is not a face most people may recognise but I applaud the risk he has taken and bringing us one step forward for mankind, in one of the most exciting science experiments in history.
You may also want to watch:
“Not many would risk or be able to do what he has done.
“He is such a humble and approachable guy.”
- 1 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 2 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 3 Business owner sentenced for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 4 Preparing for a popular traditional Christmas light display in Kenn
- 5 Impressive, four-floor detached house with sea views
- 6 North Somerset nurses retire following more than 80 years of combined service to the NHS
- 7 Primary school shuts after staff members test positive for coronavirus
- 8 Store refurbishment creates fresh job opportunities in Portishead
- 9 Bristol Airport welcomes new testing strategy for arrivals
- 10 Seek appointment with GP for persistent stomach troubles, urges NHS and Public Health England campaign