Smart extension will create more jobs
- Credit: Archant
A YATTON firm wants to build another extension which it believes will allow it to create hundreds more jobs in the process.
Smart Systems Ltd has planning permission for a third sector to its plant but now seeks a fourth phase to increase its capacity.
A company spokesman said: “It (the proposed extension) will improve our output.
“The business is doing very well.”
Smart employs 370 people but hopes to increase its workforce to about 550-600 people, if allowed to make its Arnolds Way base larger.
Smart, which makes aluminium glazing systems, has planning permission for two wind turbines – which were vehemently opposed by some villagers – and it expects them to be installed in the next six to 12 months.
However the second turbine will be moved closer to Wemberham Lane to accommodate the fourth phase extension, if the scheme is approved by North Somerset Council. No houses would be within 200 metres of it.
- 1 Skate park fundraiser reaches £27,000 - but needs YOUR help
- 2 Backwell solar energy company to expand into Clevedon
- 3 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 4 More than 20 people fined for discarding fags and off-lead dogs
- 5 Woman dies after collision in Clevedon
- 6 Petition launched to halt planned bus cuts in North Somerset
- 7 Weston MP slams council for bus cuts in North Somerset
- 8 Weather warning issued for thunderstorms across Somerset
- 9 Portishead Town silence Telephones to take over at top of table
- 10 Clevedon Town 'crumbled' at Falmouth admits boss White
Yatton Parish Council has recommended North Somerset approves the application.