Shop winners announced
- Credit: Archant
TWO entrepreneurs have been chosen as lucky winners in a competition launched to give away a Nailsea shop for a year.
The contest was set up by the owners of Crown Glass Shopping Centre to give people the chance to trial a business idea for a year while also filling a vacant unit in the town centre.
This morning (Fri) it has been announced that in fact two of the entrants have been chosen as winners, each to receive a unit in Colliers Walk free of rent and rates for a year.
More than 30 local people submitted their ideas to win the 15 Colliers Walk shop and shortlisted applicants faced a panel of judges in a Dragons’ Den-style pitch.
However, the judges were so impressed with the entries they received they have decided to give away two shops.
You may also want to watch:
Fran Hunt of party and wedding supplies sale and hire business, Partysmartys, will move into 15 Colliers Walk.
Meanwhile, Emily Rickard will open the Ewe-Knit 20 shop at 20 Colliers Walk, a few doors away, to provide machine knitting classes, materials for creative and hobbyist knitwear, and her own range of knitted clothing and accessories.
- 1 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 2 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
- 3 How to order free Covid home tests
- 4 Marathon runner Ben Smith announces USA Challenge plans
- 5 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 6 Trigger chosen to develop project for Festival UK* 2022
- 7 Jones "proud" of what he achieved with Ashton & Backwell United
- 8 Celebrations after non-essential shops and pubs reopen in North Somerset
- 9 North Somerset restaurants reopen outside this week
- 10 Health shop stocks fruit and vegetables free from plastic packaging
Mark Robinson of Crown Glass landlord Ellandi, who was one of the judges, said: “We had a fantastic response to this competition from local people to run their own business and we simply couldn’t decide between Fran and Emily, who both had great ideas which were well thought through and which will add to the Nailsea shopping experience.”
Each of the winners will be given free mentoring help and support from local financial, banking, retail and marketing experts. The prize is worth more than £25,000 to each winner.
At the end of the one-year period they will both have the chance to sign a commercial lease to continue occupancy if they wish