Second post office is open - now residents have to use it
PORTISHEAD’S long awaited Post Office Local has opened in The Village Quarter.
The new facility is the result of years of campaigning by residents and town councillors to get a second facility in the town.
Wicketty Woo and Friends, a recently-opened craft and hobby shop at the Village Square in Phoenix Way, now offers a dedicated post office counter, offering a wide range of facilities.
Postmistress, Yvonne Dutton, said: “I am delighted the Post Office Local is now open, it will be a relief to Portishead residents as Christmas approaches.”
The shop provides many of the services a full post office offers including stamps, recorded delivery mail and handling of parcels up to 30kg. It hosts a pay station which allows customers to pay bills over the counter, foreign currency can be obtained and it provides a no-fee cash point service, which is the only cash point in The Village Quarter.
You may also want to watch:
It is not, however, able to issue car tax or check passport information.
Yvonne added: “We have already had a good through flow of customers using a wide variety of the post office services and have been encouraged by the feedback from members of the local community.
- 1 Business delivering fresh fish and meat plans to expand
- 2 Restaurants celebrate successful first week after April 12 reopening
- 3 Cycling routes added to Nailsea Charity Walks fundraiser
- 4 Floral display helping to cheer up shoppers in Nailsea
- 5 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 6 Volunteers collect vast amounts of rubbish from The Portbury Hundred
- 7 Restaurateur pledges to raise £5k for cinema
- 8 Nailsea Bowls Club captains open season in usual style
- 9 How to order free Covid home tests
- 10 £350k funds for North Somerset projects opens
“The post office facility is on a one-year trial, so if people want to keep it they really need to use it.”
Post Office Local trainer, Craig Winks, who worked with Yvonne at the store last week said: “After more than a year of searching for a site for a second post office facility, the Post Office is delighted to have found suitable premises within the Port Marine development to service this area of Portishead.”
The new postal counter is open Monday to Friday between 8.30am-6pm with the Royal Mail collection at 5pm. On Saturdays the shop is open 9am-5pm with a collection at 12.30pm.