Pub chain acquires brewery
- Credit: Archant
AN INDEPENDENT North Somerset brewery has been bought by a pub chain.
Butcombe Brewery has been acquired by the Liberation Group, which is based in the Channel Islands.
Butcombe Brewery, based in Wrington, was founded in 1978 and runs pubs along with its subsidiary company Long Ashton Cider Company.
Liberation Group says it intends to invest in Butcombe’s pubs, create more brand consistency and refresh the food offering.
Bosses say the deal means the businesses will benefit from stronger buying power and greater supply opportunities.
Guy Newell, managing director of Butcombe Brewery said: “We have had significant interest from several UK pub and drinks businesses, but for us, Liberation Group was by far the best fit with our business.
“They share our ethos for high quality products and service and have proved, as we have, that being independent does not necessarily prevent you from being recognised for excellence alongside some of the biggest global names in the industry.
- 1 Yatton RFC make history with first ever under-nine game
- 2 Shop chain will sell products past 'best before' date for as little as 20p
- 3 Dramatic pictures show garage fire that spread to caravan
- 4 Portishead teachers may strike due to long working hours
- 5 Glastonbury 2022: Who is confirmed and how do I get tickets?
- 6 Tributes paid to much-loved former councillor Derrick Lovering
- 7 Covid cases still rising in North Somerset
- 8 New free BMX track proposed for Portishead
- 9 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 10 Work on new Cheddar pump track set to begin
“This is a new chapter for both businesses and all of the team here is looking forward to being a part of that.”
The deal means Butcombe beers will be sold in the Channel Islands.
The companies will have 94 pubs, bars and eateries between them, as well as two breweries and retail and wholesale operations employing more than 750 staff.
Liberation Group chief executive Mark Crowther said: “This marks the start of the exciting next chapter for Liberation and Butcombe both of whom share the same passion for quality beers and great pubs.”