Pub chain acquires brewery
- Credit: Archant
AN INDEPENDENT North Somerset brewery has been bought by a pub chain.
Butcombe Brewery has been acquired by the Liberation Group, which is based in the Channel Islands.
Butcombe Brewery, based in Wrington, was founded in 1978 and runs pubs along with its subsidiary company Long Ashton Cider Company.
Liberation Group says it intends to invest in Butcombe’s pubs, create more brand consistency and refresh the food offering.
Bosses say the deal means the businesses will benefit from stronger buying power and greater supply opportunities.
You may also want to watch:
Guy Newell, managing director of Butcombe Brewery said: “We have had significant interest from several UK pub and drinks businesses, but for us, Liberation Group was by far the best fit with our business.
“They share our ethos for high quality products and service and have proved, as we have, that being independent does not necessarily prevent you from being recognised for excellence alongside some of the biggest global names in the industry.
- 1 Festive display brightens shopping areas across Clevedon
- 2 Health leaders urge people to keep following Covid guidelines as rates begin to drop in North Somerset
- 3 Business in Kenn nominated for prestigious Business Leader Awards
- 4 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 5 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait
- 6 Sports clubs take on festive run for hospice
- 7 Portishead building firm wins national award
- 8 Football stadium set for coronavirus vaccination hub
- 9 Nailsea staff to complete 300km to feed families at Christmas
- 10 School girls creates Christmas cards for charity
“This is a new chapter for both businesses and all of the team here is looking forward to being a part of that.”
The deal means Butcombe beers will be sold in the Channel Islands.
The companies will have 94 pubs, bars and eateries between them, as well as two breweries and retail and wholesale operations employing more than 750 staff.
Liberation Group chief executive Mark Crowther said: “This marks the start of the exciting next chapter for Liberation and Butcombe both of whom share the same passion for quality beers and great pubs.”