Popular pub in new hands
- Credit: Archant
POPULAR publican Jeff Churchill has called time on his career as a Portishead landlord after 16 years at a pub in the town.
The Windmill, adjacent to the golf course and formerly known as the Hole in One, has been snapped up by London brewers Fuller, Smith and Turner.
Dating from the mid 19th Century, The Windmill has been subject to major transformation while in Jeff’s ownership. He added extensions and refurbished the venue inside and out, creating a 250-cover pub/restaurant, with additional al fresco dining from new terraces with breathtaking views of the Channel and Welsh coastline.
Jonathon Swaine, Fuller’s managing director, said: “We are very excited about the purchase of The Windmill, which will help us to continue to build our portfolio in the South West.
“It fits with our strategy both in terms of location and operation with high food turnover and the most fantastic vista.”
You may also want to watch:
Jeff, who has been in the pub trade for the past 37 years said: “Handing over to a company like Fullers is a magnificent swan song for me and I wish them every success at The Windmill.”
The acquisition was handled confidentially and off market, with Jeff represented by leisure property specialists Fleurets.
- 1 Clevedon Marine Lake to be drained
- 2 Five sites get Green Flag status
- 3 Estate agents invites children to create Halloween window displays
- 4 Portishead salon to wear all pink for breast cancer fundraiser
- 5 Life-saving equipment installed in town
- 6 Officer's final written warning after sending inappropriate messages
- 7 Road group condemns 'unacceptable traffic misery' in village
- 8 Charity days raise more than £40k for local causes
- 9 Bristol Combination Vase: Nailsea & Backwell RFC looking to create history says Hill
- 10 Appeal after man injured in robbery
The agents approached a select number of parties and received high levels of interest and bids from a number of operators.
Kevin Conibear, an associate at Fleurets, said: “Businesses of the quality and trading levels of The Windmill rarely become available.
“Jeff has spent the past 16 years creating an outstanding business and the setting of the property is second to none.
“We are delighted that Fuller’s will continue Jeff’s hard work in establishing The Windmill as one of the best-known licensed businesses in the region.”