North Somerset businessmen invited to Buckingham Palace
- Credit: Archant
Two businessmen have enjoyed a royal engagement at Buckingham Palace, where they were guests of honour.
Nick Taplin, who is the owner of DoubleTree by Hilton, Cadbury House, in Congresbury and director of Black and White Hospitality, was joined by fellow Black and White boss Shezan Aslam at the palace, where they met the Duke of Edinburgh.
They were invited to the palace after they launched a campaign to raise £60,000 for Action Medical Research For Children, as the Duke is a patron of the charity.
The duo are taking on a gruelling 500km cycle ride from London to Paris in July in aid of the charity as part of a 35-person team from Black and White Hospitality, after they completed a similar experience last year.
Nick said: “We did a similar ride last year and was a fantastic experience so are delighted to be doing it again for Action Medical Research for Children.
You may also want to watch:
“We didn’t expect an invite to meet the Duke and it was a real honour and privilege to have been personally invited. The Duke sure is as quick-witted as the media reports and has a certain sparkle in his eye.
“To tell him we are aiming to raise £60,000 for a charity he is so closely linked was a great thing to do and he was really impressed.”
If you would like to sponsor Nick, Shezan and the rest of Team Black and White ahead of their challenge, you can log on to www.action.org.uk/sponsor/blackandwhite hospitality to donate.
- 1 Contemporary living with lovely estuary views
- 2 Key workers awarded for their dedication during pandemic
- 3 Changes to North Somerset Council’s executive team announced
- 4 Creation of 'flimsy' roles at £7,000 is 'indefensible', says North Somerset councillor
- 5 How to order free Covid home tests
- 6 April 12: Air ambulance charity has busiest week on record
- 7 Call for new system to help people with addictions and mental health issues
- 8 Business delivering fresh fish and meat plans to expand
- 9 Lord-Lieutenant unveils memorial to commemorate village war dead
- 10 Surfer sets up new water sports business in North Somerset