North Somerset businessmen invited to Buckingham Palace
- Credit: Archant
Two businessmen have enjoyed a royal engagement at Buckingham Palace, where they were guests of honour.
Nick Taplin, who is the owner of DoubleTree by Hilton, Cadbury House, in Congresbury and director of Black and White Hospitality, was joined by fellow Black and White boss Shezan Aslam at the palace, where they met the Duke of Edinburgh.
They were invited to the palace after they launched a campaign to raise £60,000 for Action Medical Research For Children, as the Duke is a patron of the charity.
The duo are taking on a gruelling 500km cycle ride from London to Paris in July in aid of the charity as part of a 35-person team from Black and White Hospitality, after they completed a similar experience last year.
Nick said: “We did a similar ride last year and was a fantastic experience so are delighted to be doing it again for Action Medical Research for Children.
You may also want to watch:
“We didn’t expect an invite to meet the Duke and it was a real honour and privilege to have been personally invited. The Duke sure is as quick-witted as the media reports and has a certain sparkle in his eye.
“To tell him we are aiming to raise £60,000 for a charity he is so closely linked was a great thing to do and he was really impressed.”
If you would like to sponsor Nick, Shezan and the rest of Team Black and White ahead of their challenge, you can log on to www.action.org.uk/sponsor/blackandwhite hospitality to donate.
- 1 Village bar open again and wants people to help keep it running
- 2 Plans for 60 homes in village rejected after 800 objections
- 3 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 4 U-turn as West of England Combined Authority formally opposes Bristol Airport expansion
- 5 Duck race raises £1,000 for children's hospice
- 6 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks
- 7 WIN: Tickets to latest James Bond film
- 8 Procession held at beach memorial to give thanks to NHS
- 9 Town to celebrate art and crafts with inaugural festival
- 10 Woodspring Women earn first ever win over Burnham United Ladies Reserves