New block of flats planned for Portishead High Street
- Credit: Archant
A three-storey block of flats may be built off Portishead High Street.
Plans to turn an old industrial building, which is currently used for car repairs near SoleLution, into a block of nine apartments have been made public this week.
A mix of one or two bedroom flats are proposed, although no car parking spaces are planned.
In the application, Sutherland Property and Legal Services, on behalf of applicant Mr Spiller, says: “The building is of low aesthetic value and has become somewhat dated in its appearance as other buildings within the vicinity have evolved.
“Due to the presence of other buildings along the High Street frontage of the site and Stoke Road to the north, the building is barely visible from the front and only becomes visible from the public domain when viewed from Orchard Close at the rear.”
You may also want to watch:
Normally, developers must ensure sufficient parking is available on site, however Sutherland says leniency with town centre plans should be applied, in accordance with council guidelines.
It says there is enough parking nearby for the flats not to be a problem and says the location means the scheme is ‘unlikely to have any detrimental impact on the local landscape’.
- 1 Nailsea Bowls Club captains open season in usual style
- 2 £350k funds for North Somerset projects opens
- 3 New school to open in Yatton later this year
- 4 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 5 Group protests against new police and crime bill
- 6 How to order free Covid home tests
- 7 Rotary thanks shoppers for foodbank donations in lockdowns
- 8 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 9 Restaurateur pledges to raise £5k for cinema
- 10 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
Portishead Town Council will make a recommendation on whether the scheme should go ahead at next month’s planning meeting, however North Somerset has the final say.
People have until the end of the month to share their views on the plan with the district council.