New £1m supermarket to open in Portishead
- Credit: Archant
A new supermarket, costing £1million, will open in Portishead within the next two months.
The Co-op has announced it will take on the former Costcutter site in Avon Way and will welcome its first customers in May.
The company says it will create 15 jobs in the process.
Gareth Dexter, acquisitions manager for the Co-op in the South West, said: “We’re looking forward to opening a new store in Portishead, which will complement our 32 other stores in Bristol.
“We’re delighted to have the opportunity to provide shoppers with our wide range of award-winning food, in a store designed to be easy to use for everyone.”
You may also want to watch:
The Co-op’s move will provide even greater competition within the town.
Shoppers already have big companies such as Waitrose, Sainsbury’s, Tesco Express, Lidl and Iceland within Portishead to choose from.
- 1 Decision on Portishead Station delayed until next year
- 2 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 3 Claim for judicial review delays school expansion for vulnerable children
- 4 Beautiful Edwardian villa near Clevedon's seafront
- 5 Life-saving equipment installed in town
- 6 Cliff Richard concert to be live streamed in cinemas
- 7 Ashton & Backwell United bow out of Buildbase FA Vase after Bemerton Heath Harlequins defeat
- 8 Clevedon Marine Lake to be drained
- 9 Halloween 2021: What Halloween events are taking place in North Somerset?
- 10 North Somerset residents at risk of PCR lab mix up
The Co-op says its 2,400 sq.ft store, is located in the heart of the community and will have an in-store bakery and locally-sourced products and a focus on fresh, healthy foods, meal ideas and essentials.
It will be open between 7am-10pm seven days a week, and also have a cash machine.
The Co-op hopes its new Portishead store is not its last.
Robert Bignold, head of new store development, said: “We’re committed to finding great locations for our new stores, we know people want to be able to buy high quality food near to where they live and work, in handy-sized shops that are open at convenient times.
“We opened 100 new stores last year and will open another 100 again this year and are always on the lookout for new sites.”