New £1m supermarket to open in Portishead
- Credit: Archant
A new supermarket, costing £1million, will open in Portishead within the next two months.
The Co-op has announced it will take on the former Costcutter site in Avon Way and will welcome its first customers in May.
The company says it will create 15 jobs in the process.
Gareth Dexter, acquisitions manager for the Co-op in the South West, said: “We’re looking forward to opening a new store in Portishead, which will complement our 32 other stores in Bristol.
“We’re delighted to have the opportunity to provide shoppers with our wide range of award-winning food, in a store designed to be easy to use for everyone.”
You may also want to watch:
The Co-op’s move will provide even greater competition within the town.
Shoppers already have big companies such as Waitrose, Sainsbury’s, Tesco Express, Lidl and Iceland within Portishead to choose from.
- 1 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 2 How to order free Covid home tests
- 3 Group protests against new police and crime bill
- 4 Marathon runner Ben Smith announces USA Challenge plans
- 5 £350k funds for North Somerset projects opens
- 6 New school to open in Yatton later this year
- 7 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
- 8 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 9 Nailsea Bowls Club captains open season in usual style
- 10 Trigger chosen to develop project for Festival UK* 2022
The Co-op says its 2,400 sq.ft store, is located in the heart of the community and will have an in-store bakery and locally-sourced products and a focus on fresh, healthy foods, meal ideas and essentials.
It will be open between 7am-10pm seven days a week, and also have a cash machine.
The Co-op hopes its new Portishead store is not its last.
Robert Bignold, head of new store development, said: “We’re committed to finding great locations for our new stores, we know people want to be able to buy high quality food near to where they live and work, in handy-sized shops that are open at convenient times.
“We opened 100 new stores last year and will open another 100 again this year and are always on the lookout for new sites.”