Natwest to close its Nailsea branch in June
- Credit: Archant
NatWest in Nailsea is closing next summer due to a lack of customers using the branch.
The number of people using the branch, in Somerset Square, has dropped by 30 per cent in five years and only 86 customers use the facility on a weekly basis.
The bank has written to its customers to inform them the branch will be closing next year.
A NatWest spokesman said: “We have taken the difficult decision to close the NatWest Nailsea branch on June 11.
“Since 2012 we have seen the way in which people use the branch change dramatically, with now 86 per cent of customers already banking in other ways locally.
“Transactions at the NatWest Nailsea branch have reduced by 30 per cent since 2012 with now only 86 customers visiting the branch on a weekly basis.
“Fifty-nine per cent of customers are now choosing to bank digitally with us on a regular basis instead.
- 1 IN THE DOCK: Man in court after using daughter's blue badge to park in Weston
- 2 Nailsea & Tickenham toast confirmation of Western League spot
- 3 North Somerset flytipper pays £1,600 after dumping bathtub
- 4 Volunteers needed to welcome Ukrainian refugees
- 5 New store sign among latest planning applications
- 6 West of England mayor back anti-expansion airport protestors
- 7 Stunning century sees Barrow Gurney II secure unlikely win
- 8 Artists work on show at exhibition in Congresbury this weekend
- 9 WIN! Tickets to George Michael Freedom Uncut at the Curzon
- 10 Construction finally begins for special educational needs school
“We are communicating with our customers affected by the closure and proactively contacting vulnerable customers and regular branch users.
“We have extended the time between announcing our decision and the branch closure to six months.
“This has been done so that we can ensure our customers have enough time to consider the right banking options for them and to give us time to support them one-to-one during the transition.”
The bank has set up a team of NatWest TechXperts who will support customers with digital skills until the branch closes. Community bankers will then take over.
The spokesman added: “We are committed to ensuring our customers and communities are able to continue accessing quality banking services.
“Our new community banker provides customers with personal assistance and support to access our non-cash services, as well as help with achieving their financial plans and goals – replicating many of the services available in our branches.
“Our community bankers will get to know the local community, engage with local groups and provide training and education on issues such as fraud and scams protection in the local area.”
Once closed, NatWest customers in Nailsea will have to travel to Bristol, Clevedon or Weston for over-the-counter services.