Monkey business launches fun music classes for babies and toddlers
- Credit: n/a
A pair of Portishead mothers believe they have stumbled on a brilliant business idea which will delight parents and entertain children.
Alex Thomas and Demelza Edyvean have launched a children’s music group called Music Monkeys.
Its interactive sessions encourage youngsters to sing songs and play well-known and much-loved tunes.
Alex believes the pair have hit on something fun and different to what else is on offer in Portishead.
She said: “We wanted props and dancing, actions and instruments, parachutes and bubbles.
You may also want to watch:
“But above all, we wanted some fun.”
Music Monkeys divides its sessions into two: it has baby monkeys classes for babies and music monkeys for children aged one to four.
- 1 Hinkley dredging is safe, say project leaders
- 2 PICTURES: Lions charity surprises Clevedon residents
- 3 Bristol and Weston NHS charities merge under new name
- 4 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 5 Responses to Portishead Lake Grounds consultation published
- 6 Portishead Art Trail splash sculpture gets a refurb
- 7 Halloween 2021: What Halloween events are taking place in North Somerset?
- 8 Youngsters enjoy pumpkin picking at farm
- 9 Decision on Portishead Station delayed until next year
- 10 Nailsea United fall to heavy defeat against Mendip Broadwalk
Demelza, who has a one-year-old daughter called Siena, said bright colours and tuneful songs can help children’s development.
She said: “Both our classes are a great way to engage with your little one through song.
“We use a range of sensory props, instruments and actions, all designed to promote parent-child interaction.
“So mummies and daddies are encouraged to join in too.”
The classes are run every Wednesday at Portishead Youth Centre, in Harbour Road.
Alex said so far the venture has gone well and believe her and Demelza work well together as a team.
Alex, who has two daughters – five-year-old Lucy and two-year-old Heidi – said: “I am something of a fanatic at organising.
“I love seeing to all the details and making sure all the logistics work.
“Demelza, meanwhile, is incredibly warm and engaging with the children and so is perfect at leading the classes.
“We’re the perfect combination.”
While Music Monkeys has only recently launched, Alex and Demelza are already thinking of possible ways of growing the enterprise.
Classes at other venues and birthday party packages are among the ideas being considered.
But for now, the baby monkeys and music monkeys classes are the main focus.
Demelza said: “We would love to see you and your little one at one of our classes.
“Come and join in the fun.”