Monkey business launches fun music classes for babies and toddlers
- Credit: n/a
A pair of Portishead mothers believe they have stumbled on a brilliant business idea which will delight parents and entertain children.
Alex Thomas and Demelza Edyvean have launched a children’s music group called Music Monkeys.
Its interactive sessions encourage youngsters to sing songs and play well-known and much-loved tunes.
Alex believes the pair have hit on something fun and different to what else is on offer in Portishead.
She said: “We wanted props and dancing, actions and instruments, parachutes and bubbles.
You may also want to watch:
“But above all, we wanted some fun.”
Music Monkeys divides its sessions into two: it has baby monkeys classes for babies and music monkeys for children aged one to four.
- 1 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 2 How to order free Covid home tests
- 3 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
- 4 Marathon runner Ben Smith announces USA Challenge plans
- 5 North Somerset restaurants reopen outside this week
- 6 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 7 What we know about Prince Philip's funeral at Windsor
- 8 Trigger chosen to develop project for Festival UK* 2022
- 9 Health shop stocks fruit and vegetables free from plastic packaging
- 10 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
Demelza, who has a one-year-old daughter called Siena, said bright colours and tuneful songs can help children’s development.
She said: “Both our classes are a great way to engage with your little one through song.
“We use a range of sensory props, instruments and actions, all designed to promote parent-child interaction.
“So mummies and daddies are encouraged to join in too.”
The classes are run every Wednesday at Portishead Youth Centre, in Harbour Road.
Alex said so far the venture has gone well and believe her and Demelza work well together as a team.
Alex, who has two daughters – five-year-old Lucy and two-year-old Heidi – said: “I am something of a fanatic at organising.
“I love seeing to all the details and making sure all the logistics work.
“Demelza, meanwhile, is incredibly warm and engaging with the children and so is perfect at leading the classes.
“We’re the perfect combination.”
While Music Monkeys has only recently launched, Alex and Demelza are already thinking of possible ways of growing the enterprise.
Classes at other venues and birthday party packages are among the ideas being considered.
But for now, the baby monkeys and music monkeys classes are the main focus.
Demelza said: “We would love to see you and your little one at one of our classes.
“Come and join in the fun.”