Market site car wash plan set for approval?
- Credit: Archant
A decision over whether a market site in Portishead can be used as a car wash will be made by district councillors this afternoon (Wednesday).
Members of North Somerset Council’s planning committee will vote on the scheme which would see the facility added to The Poacher’s car park in High Street.
The council’s planning experts have recommended the scheme is passed, saying it ‘would not adversely impact upon the character of the surrounding area or the appearance of the street scene’.
However the plan has drawn concerns from a number of people in Portishead.
Objectors, who have submitted their views to the council which are published on its website, believe a car wash is not needed.
You may also want to watch:
Emma Moody, who lives near the proposed site in Roath Road, wrote to the council, saying: “There is already a car wash operation within 200m of this site and several in the local area.
“It will be noisy for residents and is very close to their gardens.
- 1 Hundreds expected at gatherings to oppose possible development around Weston Big Wood
- 2 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 3 Road closure in force for five nights on A370 next week
- 4 Clevedon Marine Lake reopens
- 5 Summer show goes down a treat in Portishead
- 6 Chiropractors report increase in patients with back and neck pain due to home working
- 7 Portishead's Amelie Morgan wins team bronze at Tokyo Olympics
- 8 Portishead's Morgan excited to make Olympic final
- 9 Protestors take to the streets against Bristol Airport
- 10 New village scout hut in greenbelt approved
“The car park is used as a walk way by many people to the High Street.”
David James, of Heron Gardens, was one of six others to object to the plan.
He said it would affect access for people walking from the High Street to the free car park in Roath Road.
Portishead Town Council also objected to the car wash plan, citing it would be an added hazard for pedestrians.
North Somerset’s planning committee will meet at Weston Town Hall today at 2.30pm.