Marina to expand?
- Credit: Archant
AN EXPANSION of Portishead’s marina will give more boat owners the chance to use a berth at the town’s in-demand facility.
Within five years, the owners of Portishead Quays Marina hope to have expanded the facility from 249 to 373 berths.
A planning application has been submitted to North Somerset Council and, if approved, could see the first 25 completed by easter.
Currently the marina is at capacity and it is hoped the extra berths will help meet the demand for space in Portishead.
The expansion is part of the overall master plan that was put forward for the town’s marina development and, if approved, this application will enable it to be realised.
You may also want to watch:
Simon Haigh, managing director of Portishead Quays Marina, said: “The marina is doing exceptionally well and is now pretty much full to capacity with its current berths.
“The full plan is very much in accordance with the overall master plan. It is how the marina was envisaged to be. We are really pleased it is getting to that stage.
- 1 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 2 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
- 3 How to order free Covid home tests
- 4 Marathon runner Ben Smith announces USA Challenge plans
- 5 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 6 Trigger chosen to develop project for Festival UK* 2022
- 7 Jones "proud" of what he achieved with Ashton & Backwell United
- 8 Celebrations after non-essential shops and pubs reopen in North Somerset
- 9 North Somerset restaurants reopen outside this week
- 10 Health shop stocks fruit and vegetables free from plastic packaging
“Despite being in quite tough economic times over the past few years, Portishead has done exceptionally well. It is very successful indeed.
“This is very good news for Portishead.
“The reality is that with additional berths we attract additional marine tourism, additional footfall in and around the marina and of course additional spending in the town and surrounding area.
“It is already a popular destination. As we increase the number of berths, the economic impact will also improve.
“It will also help support the small marine businesses in the town that service the boats we have here now. By us expanding, more small businesses will be benefit and be able to operate from Portishead.
“The completion date will be subject to demand but we would like to believe we can do it within five years. However, our gut feeling is that it will be much sooner than that because the demand in Portishead is so good.
“Lots of marinas have struggled over the past few years but Portishead has done exceptionally.”