Marina to expand?
- Credit: Archant
AN EXPANSION of Portishead’s marina will give more boat owners the chance to use a berth at the town’s in-demand facility.
Within five years, the owners of Portishead Quays Marina hope to have expanded the facility from 249 to 373 berths.
A planning application has been submitted to North Somerset Council and, if approved, could see the first 25 completed by easter.
Currently the marina is at capacity and it is hoped the extra berths will help meet the demand for space in Portishead.
The expansion is part of the overall master plan that was put forward for the town’s marina development and, if approved, this application will enable it to be realised.
Simon Haigh, managing director of Portishead Quays Marina, said: “The marina is doing exceptionally well and is now pretty much full to capacity with its current berths.
“The full plan is very much in accordance with the overall master plan. It is how the marina was envisaged to be. We are really pleased it is getting to that stage.
- 1 Town council submits complaint over 'financially flawed' appropriation of land
- 2 PICTURES: Festival of light at Clevedon Marine Lake
- 3 50 arrests made in SIX DAYS after launch of Christmas drink-driving campaign
- 4 Storm Barra expected to bring high winds to South West
- 5 Santa routes for towns this December are revealed
- 6 Meet the new leader of the Somerset Chamber of Commerce
- 7 PICTURES: Eat Nailsea festive food festival
- 8 Somerset counselling service gets £5,000 cash boost
- 9 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 10 'I walked into a full-blown argument': Estate agent considering valuation charge for DIVORCING COUPLES
“Despite being in quite tough economic times over the past few years, Portishead has done exceptionally well. It is very successful indeed.
“This is very good news for Portishead.
“The reality is that with additional berths we attract additional marine tourism, additional footfall in and around the marina and of course additional spending in the town and surrounding area.
“It is already a popular destination. As we increase the number of berths, the economic impact will also improve.
“It will also help support the small marine businesses in the town that service the boats we have here now. By us expanding, more small businesses will be benefit and be able to operate from Portishead.
“The completion date will be subject to demand but we would like to believe we can do it within five years. However, our gut feeling is that it will be much sooner than that because the demand in Portishead is so good.
“Lots of marinas have struggled over the past few years but Portishead has done exceptionally.”