Manufacturer leaves town after 80 years
- Credit: supplied
One of Portishead’s longest running businesses has closed the doors on its base of 80 years.
A P Burt, one of the UK’s biggest paper bag manufacturers, has relocated from its premises in Harbour Road, in a move that bosses say will ensure the jobs of 65 local employees.
AP Burt supplies seven million bags each day to some of Britain’s best-known supermarkets and fast food retailers ranging from Gregg’s and KFC to Waitrose and Morrisons. The company has prospered in recent years thanks to a move away from plastic bags and the continued growth in ‘food to go’ packaging.
James Nicholls, AP Burt’s managing director, said: “After 80 years at Harbour Road we considered it the right time to undertake relocation and allow redevelopment of the existing site. It will help protect jobs and put the firm in a strong position to enjoy future growth.”
The company is now fully operational in a 52,000 sqft property in First Avenue, Portbury.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Nicholls added: “We appointed Malcolm Gunter at Williams Gunter Hardwick to negotiate the sale and identify the relocation property. We are delighted with the dual outcome and can now look forward to the future at our new premises.”
Mr Gunter said: “The timing of the decision to relocate coincided with an upturn in market conditions, particularly for the residential sector, which clearly worked in our favour.
- 1 Primary school shuts after staff members test positive for coronavirus
- 2 Store refurbishment creates fresh job opportunities in Portishead
- 3 Portishead Town set up Community Christmas Cheer to help local town
- 4 Business owner sentenced for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 5 Seek appointment with GP for persistent stomach troubles, urges NHS and Public Health England campaign
- 6 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 7 North Somerset nurses retire following more than 80 years of combined service to the NHS
- 8 Preparing for a popular traditional Christmas light display in Kenn
- 9 Bristol Airport welcomes new testing strategy for arrivals
- 10 Impressive, four-floor detached house with sea views
“However the chronic shortage of available warehouse and production accommodation within North Somerset did not make the task of identifying a suitable relocation property straightforward. We are therefore delighted that A P Burt has been able to complete its move and remain a significant North Somerset employer.”