Manufacturer leaves town after 80 years
- Credit: supplied
One of Portishead’s longest running businesses has closed the doors on its base of 80 years.
A P Burt, one of the UK’s biggest paper bag manufacturers, has relocated from its premises in Harbour Road, in a move that bosses say will ensure the jobs of 65 local employees.
AP Burt supplies seven million bags each day to some of Britain’s best-known supermarkets and fast food retailers ranging from Gregg’s and KFC to Waitrose and Morrisons. The company has prospered in recent years thanks to a move away from plastic bags and the continued growth in ‘food to go’ packaging.
James Nicholls, AP Burt’s managing director, said: “After 80 years at Harbour Road we considered it the right time to undertake relocation and allow redevelopment of the existing site. It will help protect jobs and put the firm in a strong position to enjoy future growth.”
The company is now fully operational in a 52,000 sqft property in First Avenue, Portbury.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Nicholls added: “We appointed Malcolm Gunter at Williams Gunter Hardwick to negotiate the sale and identify the relocation property. We are delighted with the dual outcome and can now look forward to the future at our new premises.”
Mr Gunter said: “The timing of the decision to relocate coincided with an upturn in market conditions, particularly for the residential sector, which clearly worked in our favour.
- 1 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 2 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
- 3 How to order free Covid home tests
- 4 Marathon runner Ben Smith announces USA Challenge plans
- 5 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 6 Trigger chosen to develop project for Festival UK* 2022
- 7 North Somerset restaurants reopen outside this week
- 8 Holloway helps Northern Ireland women make history after qualifying for Euro 2022
- 9 Health shop stocks fruit and vegetables free from plastic packaging
- 10 Celebrations after non-essential shops and pubs reopen in North Somerset
“However the chronic shortage of available warehouse and production accommodation within North Somerset did not make the task of identifying a suitable relocation property straightforward. We are therefore delighted that A P Burt has been able to complete its move and remain a significant North Somerset employer.”