Investigation to track down chocolate mouse
- Credit: Archant
A PORTISHEAD supermarket is being investigated after a chocolate bar containing suspected mouse droppings and teeth marks was bought from the store.
Joanne Moss, of Sally Hill, bought a 120g bar of Dairy Milk from the Co-op in Wyndham Way for her 13-year-old daughter Emily, but when she sat down to eat it she noticed a hole in the wrapper.
Joanne, aged 48, said: “My daughter started shouting about someone pinching her chocolate.
“It looked like a child had made a hole in it and put it back on the shelf.
When my husband checked it he noticed the hole was serrated and it looked like it had been nibbled.
You may also want to watch:
“We opened the end of the package and some poo fell out and there were lots of teeth marks on the chocolate and four squares were missing. I couldn’t believe it, it was horrible.”
Joanne has reported the incident to the environmental health department at North Somerset Council.
- 1 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 2 How to order free Covid home tests
- 3 Group protests against new police and crime bill
- 4 Nailsea Bowls Club captains open season in usual style
- 5 £350k funds for North Somerset projects opens
- 6 New school to open in Yatton later this year
- 7 Marathon runner Ben Smith announces USA Challenge plans
- 8 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 9 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
- 10 Rotary thanks shoppers for foodbank donations in lockdowns
A spokesman said: “We can confirm we have received a complaint and we are currently investigating.”
Co-operative Food is also investigating the matter and carrying out checks in store.
A spokesman said: “We are aware of a complaint from a customer who claims that a foreign object has been found in a chocolate bar bought from our store in Portishead.
“We have sent the customer a padded bag in order for her to return the product for inspection.
“Checks have been carried out on other similar products, both in the store and in the warehouse, and no problems have been found.
“We have also instructed environmental health experts to carry out a thorough inspection of the store and warehouse to verify this. Further investigations will take place at our depot and with the supplier.
“We offer our sincere apologies to the customer and we will maintain contact with her throughout our investigation.”