High Street jewellers set to close after 21 years
- Credit: Archant
A family jeweller is shutting up shop after 21 years.
Paul Knowles and his daughter Janet Currell have decided to close Nailsea Jewellers in High Street.
Paul said: “We would like to thank all our customers past and present for their custom and support as well as our loyal staff members who have been with us for a number of years, but it’s the right time to close for many reasons.
“The lease is at an end and I want to retire and Janet is expecting another child so there was no point in renewing the lease.
“Sadly, the economic climate is not that good in Nailsea either.
You may also want to watch:
“There are too many empty shop units and not enough quality shops to attract shoppers, increasingly retailers in the town are finding it difficult to make ends meet and make a decent living.
“Internet sales have taken a toll on the independent retailer in recent years as well as rising rents, reduction in council business rate relief, compulsory pension payments due later in the year and increases to the minimum wage.”
- 1 Store refurbishment creates fresh job opportunities in Portishead
- 2 Business owner sentenced for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 3 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 4 North Somerset nurses retire following more than 80 years of combined service to the NHS
- 5 Preparing for a popular traditional Christmas light display in Kenn
- 6 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 7 Flying club to stage 24-hour flight simulation for charity
- 8 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
Paul and Janet will be holding a closing down sale with all stock reduced to half price until the doors finally close in May.
Repairs and watch battery fittings will still be carried out until the middle of next month and Paul and Janet have asked if all outstanding items can be collected by the end of April.
Paul, however, will continue to repair clocks in Clevedon, Portishead and Nailsea at Gordano Clock Repairs.