High Street jewellers set to close after 21 years
- Credit: Archant
A family jeweller is shutting up shop after 21 years.
Paul Knowles and his daughter Janet Currell have decided to close Nailsea Jewellers in High Street.
Paul said: “We would like to thank all our customers past and present for their custom and support as well as our loyal staff members who have been with us for a number of years, but it’s the right time to close for many reasons.
“The lease is at an end and I want to retire and Janet is expecting another child so there was no point in renewing the lease.
“Sadly, the economic climate is not that good in Nailsea either.
You may also want to watch:
“There are too many empty shop units and not enough quality shops to attract shoppers, increasingly retailers in the town are finding it difficult to make ends meet and make a decent living.
“Internet sales have taken a toll on the independent retailer in recent years as well as rising rents, reduction in council business rate relief, compulsory pension payments due later in the year and increases to the minimum wage.”
- 1 Long-standing Clevedon gift store transformed under new owners
- 2 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'
- 3 Council agrees development plan for Nailsea site
- 4 Garden waste service disrupted due to 'ongoing crew shortages'
- 5 Green Party candidate elected to council following by-election win
- 6 Yatton development welcomes first movers
- 7 Covid warning issued in North Somerset
- 8 PICTURES: Inside Clevedon Pier's Glass Box Cafe
- 9 Sections of historic Portishead railway line to be reused for project
- 10 Restricting more flights from airport would have 'profound implications for society', says lawyer
Paul and Janet will be holding a closing down sale with all stock reduced to half price until the doors finally close in May.
Repairs and watch battery fittings will still be carried out until the middle of next month and Paul and Janet have asked if all outstanding items can be collected by the end of April.
Paul, however, will continue to repair clocks in Clevedon, Portishead and Nailsea at Gordano Clock Repairs.