Former dancer’s ballet-wear firm
- Credit: Archant
A PORTISHEAD mum and former dancer has set up her own business supplying dancewear to performers.
Karley Hughes runs her new firm, called balletballet.uk, from her Village Quarter home along with a dedicated website.
The 37-year-old said: “I am following a family tradition of supplying clothing to the theatre world.
“My great aunt used to make tutus and headpieces for the West End in London.
“When I was growing up, she used to have lots of costumes in her house in Covent Garden.
You may also want to watch:
“I danced until I was 18 but then stopped as life took over.
“However, I did recently choreograph the Portishead Players production of Oliver.”
- 1 Primary school shuts after staff members test positive for coronavirus
- 2 Store refurbishment creates fresh job opportunities in Portishead
- 3 Portishead Town set up Community Christmas Cheer to help local town
- 4 Business owner sentenced for fly-tipping in North Somerset
- 5 Seek appointment with GP for persistent stomach troubles, urges NHS and Public Health England campaign
- 6 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 7 North Somerset nurses retire following more than 80 years of combined service to the NHS
- 8 Preparing for a popular traditional Christmas light display in Kenn
- 9 Bristol Airport welcomes new testing strategy for arrivals
- 10 Impressive, four-floor detached house with sea views
Before having her two daughters and subsequently starting her business, Karley worked in retail for Disney and Mamas and Papas.
She has now secured deals supplying costumes and dancewear to two of north Somerset’s largest dance schools.
She said: “I have had a life-long interest in ballet and dance and saw a gap in the market.
“I can offer shoes and clothing for a variety of dancing styles. It has been really busy since I started
“This is too much fun to be called work.”