Former dancer’s ballet-wear firm
- Credit: Archant
A PORTISHEAD mum and former dancer has set up her own business supplying dancewear to performers.
Karley Hughes runs her new firm, called balletballet.uk, from her Village Quarter home along with a dedicated website.
The 37-year-old said: “I am following a family tradition of supplying clothing to the theatre world.
“My great aunt used to make tutus and headpieces for the West End in London.
“When I was growing up, she used to have lots of costumes in her house in Covent Garden.
You may also want to watch:
“I danced until I was 18 but then stopped as life took over.
“However, I did recently choreograph the Portishead Players production of Oliver.”
- 1 Man charged with possession of offensive weapon in village
- 2 Bristol Balloon Fiesta: Organisers planning 2021 event
- 3 Man with long Covid urges others to take virus seriously
- 4 May 17: Which pubs are reopening in North Somerset?
- 5 May 17: Bristol Airport 'disappointed' with green list
- 6 Lions fund noticeboard for Backwell viewpoint
- 7 Clevedon AC members enjoy Glastonbury 10k outing
- 8 Mixed fortunes for Clevedon LTC teams on league return
- 9 Call for community to support 'vital' children's hospice
- 10 LOCAL BY-ELECTION: Portishead East district and town councillors elected
Before having her two daughters and subsequently starting her business, Karley worked in retail for Disney and Mamas and Papas.
She has now secured deals supplying costumes and dancewear to two of north Somerset’s largest dance schools.
She said: “I have had a life-long interest in ballet and dance and saw a gap in the market.
“I can offer shoes and clothing for a variety of dancing styles. It has been really busy since I started
“This is too much fun to be called work.”