Former chef at Michelin-star restaurant impressed by girl’s dessert design
- Credit: Archant
A Clevedon girl has won first prize in a patisserie’s draw-a-dessert competition.
Hannah Legge, aged nine, entered Patisserie Venga’s competition and her ice cream pudding won first prize.
The patisserie is based at The White Hart in Weston-in-Gordano and its chef said Hannah’s tasty dish was impressive.
Chris Yeatman, who owns and runs the pub along with her husband, Mike, said they were all impressed with Hannah’s artistic talent.
She said: “Our pastry chef Marco Pilloni, who has worked in a Michelin-starred restaurant and cooked for Her Royal Highness the Queen, judged the competition.
You may also want to watch:
“He chose Hannah’s drawing as the winning picture as it was very colourful and neat.
“We were delighted to present her with a voucher for two people to enjoy afternoon tea at the pub at a later date.
- 1 £350k funds for North Somerset projects opens
- 2 Nailsea Bowls Club captains open season in usual style
- 3 New school to open in Yatton later this year
- 4 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 5 Group protests against new police and crime bill
- 6 How to order free Covid home tests
- 7 Rotary thanks shoppers for foodbank donations in lockdowns
- 8 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 9 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
- 10 Restaurateur pledges to raise £5k for cinema
“We would like to say a huge congratulations to Hannah for coming first.”
The patisserie is a recent addition to the pub.
The White Hart was reopened in 2015, after having been closed for two years, and former blacksmith outbuildings were renovated to create the patisserie.
Chris, who also runs Venga in Portishead High Street, is keen for a community feel to exist within the pub.
She said: “Now that the patisserie is open we can start providing a community hub and, also, attracting visitors from further afield who appreciate good food, and the provenance of the ingredients and products they consume.
“We’re famous for being innovative and modern in our approach, and quirky events like this are just an extension of our policy to be different and to provide not just great service and exceptional food, but also a ‘go to’ place and a wonderful experience.”