Footballer thanks Della for vital support
- Credit: Archant
A Premier League footballer got pulses racing when he presented a Backwell businesswoman with flowers for helping to save an amateur football club.
Della Hudson, of Hudson Accountants, was given the bouquet by Crystal Palace player Yannick Bolasie for raising the profile of a campaign to save Hallen FC.
Members of the Bristol club were worried it would fold when the parish council said it could no longer afford to support it financially.
Hallen FC would have been liable for rent and repairs at its centre, which could have seen an increase in payments from £12,000 to £20,000 a year.
Bolasie, a former Bristol City player, urged his 65,000 Twitter followers to support a campaign to save the club and Della, who is a keen supporter of grassroots sports, also helped to raise awareness of the appeal, which led to 5,500 signatures on a petition.
You may also want to watch:
Della said: “It’s not every day you get handed flowers by a Premier League footballer. I was happy to help the club, whose cause was close to my heart, and this thank you was lovely.”
The club has now been given a lifeline with the discovery of an agreement document allowing them to stay until 2020. Bosses are now in talks with the council and hope to renegotiate.
- 1 Health leaders urge people to keep following Covid guidelines as rates begin to drop in North Somerset
- 2 Portishead building firm wins national award
- 3 New bike racks installed in Portishead High Street
- 4 Call for action to reduce rising infection rates in secondary schools
- 5 Actress urges people to get behind hospice appeal
- 6 Business in Kenn nominated for prestigious Business Leader Awards
- 7 Festive display brightens shopping areas across Clevedon
- 8 Nailsea runs virtual Christmas fair
- 9 Christmas lights lift spirits in Portishead
- 10 Business owner sentenced for fly-tipping in North Somerset
Bolasie presented awards to players, volunteers and supporters.