Footballer thanks Della for vital support
- Credit: Archant
A Premier League footballer got pulses racing when he presented a Backwell businesswoman with flowers for helping to save an amateur football club.
Della Hudson, of Hudson Accountants, was given the bouquet by Crystal Palace player Yannick Bolasie for raising the profile of a campaign to save Hallen FC.
Members of the Bristol club were worried it would fold when the parish council said it could no longer afford to support it financially.
Hallen FC would have been liable for rent and repairs at its centre, which could have seen an increase in payments from £12,000 to £20,000 a year.
Bolasie, a former Bristol City player, urged his 65,000 Twitter followers to support a campaign to save the club and Della, who is a keen supporter of grassroots sports, also helped to raise awareness of the appeal, which led to 5,500 signatures on a petition.
You may also want to watch:
Della said: “It’s not every day you get handed flowers by a Premier League footballer. I was happy to help the club, whose cause was close to my heart, and this thank you was lovely.”
The club has now been given a lifeline with the discovery of an agreement document allowing them to stay until 2020. Bosses are now in talks with the council and hope to renegotiate.
- 1 Claim for judicial review delays school expansion for vulnerable children
- 2 Decision on Portishead Station delayed until next year
- 3 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 4 Beautiful Edwardian villa near Clevedon's seafront
- 5 Halloween 2021: What Halloween events are taking place in North Somerset?
- 6 Clevedon Marine Lake to be drained
- 7 Camera club wants new members to join
- 8 North Somerset residents at risk of PCR lab mix up
- 9 Life-saving equipment installed in town
- 10 Cliff Richard concert to be live streamed in cinemas
Bolasie presented awards to players, volunteers and supporters.