Food market to revitalise shop unit
- Credit: Archant
TRADERS in a popular Clevedon shopping street have hatched an ambitious plan to convert a disused former newsagent into a bustling indoor food market.
The empty Seeley’s unit in Hill Road will be refurbished before being opened under the new name of The Food Market @ Seeley’s in May.
The project is being funded by a group of traders and some of their staff in Hill Road.
Those behind the plan are Jane Brake, of Estuary and Pale Blue, Mary Hadlow, of The Cellar and La Maison, Sandy Prater and Fenella Sandford at Fizz Gallery, plus Jane Brink and Vanessa Mitchell, who work at La Maison.
The unit, which is owned by the Seeley family and was recently used for filming scenes for the ITV drama Broadchurch, will be used to host a food market on Tuesdays and Saturdays, featuring 12-15 stalls selling a wide range of fresh products.
You may also want to watch:
It is also hoped it could later be used to host tabletop, vintage and artisan sales as well as being hired out to people hoping to hold their own events.
Sandy Prater said: “Every day we get people coming in our shops asking what is going to happen to the unit as it has been empty for so long.
- 1 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 2 How to order free Covid home tests
- 3 Group protests against new police and crime bill
- 4 Marathon runner Ben Smith announces USA Challenge plans
- 5 £350k funds for North Somerset projects opens
- 6 New school to open in Yatton later this year
- 7 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 8 Nailsea Bowls Club captains open season in usual style
- 9 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
- 10 Trigger chosen to develop project for Festival UK* 2022
“The Seeley family has been really supportive of what we are trying to do.
“They didn’t want it to go to a chain and they wanted to do it for the good of the community.
“We want to attract as many local producers as possible.
“We want to improve the appearance of the street, fill an empty space and meet a demand.
“It is definitely an exciting time and we are in the process of applying for a grant at the moment.
“We have had great support for the idea from our customers.”
Anyone interested in getting involved with the market can email email@example.com