Fancy dress shop for Backwell
- Credit: Archant
A NEW fancy dress shop has opened its doors in Backwell to cater for plays, parties and special occasions.
Costume Drama was set up by Nicky Sugar using the costumes from Backwell Playhouse.
Last year the theatre club decided to sell its costume stock in order to concentrate on its other priorities and Nicky jumped at the chance to acquire the collection, which had been built up over several decades.
She said: “There is always a lot of demand for fancy dress for parties, school plays and fundraisers.
“But most people living locally can’t justify the time and cost of going into Bristol to hire costumes.
You may also want to watch:
“The great thing about the Playhouse costume store was that it offered an accessible service at affordable prices, and that’s what I want to continue.
“I felt that the costumes belonged in the village and if they were sold elsewhere we would lose that resource forever.”
- 1 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 2 How to order free Covid home tests
- 3 Group protests against new police and crime bill
- 4 Nailsea Bowls Club captains open season in usual style
- 5 £350k funds for North Somerset projects opens
- 6 New school to open in Yatton later this year
- 7 Marathon runner Ben Smith announces USA Challenge plans
- 8 Barclays to close North Somerset branches
- 9 Rotary thanks shoppers for foodbank donations in lockdowns
- 10 Clevedon's FA Vase dream ends at Plymouth Parkway
The collection includes more than 2,000 items including period and theatre costumes, fancy dress outfits, vintage clothing and formal wear.
Local drama clubs and schools have already become regular customers at Costume Drama, and Nicky has also had a steady stream of partygoers and even a magazine stylist looking for outfits from the store.
Nicky, who lives at Cadogan Grove in Backwell, describes the shop as a ‘treasure trove’.
She said: “I love the fact that there is such a huge variety of costumes in the collection, people have phoned up looking for some really random things and we have usually been able to help them.”
Prices start from £2.50 for the hire of hats and other accessories, and full costumes start from £10.
Costume Drama is open most days, including evening and weekends, by appointment. Call 01275 462342 or 07855 766147 or email email@example.com