Shop Local campaign to boost independent businesses
- Credit: Archant
An estate agent is on a mission to save struggling high streets by encouraging people to support their local shops.
Richard Van De Velde, managing director of Hunters Estate Agents, is using his Facebook page to promote businesses in the area.
Hunters Estate Agents has offices in Portishead, Nailsea and Yatton and Richard has launched a Shop Local campaign to help the communities he serves.
Richard has made videos with businesses so people can find out what they offer.
He said: "The high street is struggling, as everyone knows.
You may also want to watch:
"I've got offices in Nailsea, Portishead and Yatton so I thought, as a local business, what can I do to help and try to give something back and promote the individual areas?
"I went to chat with some local independent businesses to see if they were willing to be filmed.
- 1 Long-standing Clevedon gift store transformed under new owners
- 2 Clevedon Marine Lake drained for 'high bacteria levels'
- 3 Garden waste service disrupted due to 'ongoing crew shortages'
- 4 Green Party candidate elected to council following by-election win
- 5 Council agrees development plan for Nailsea site
- 6 PICTURES: Inside Clevedon Pier's Glass Box Cafe
- 7 Yatton development welcomes first movers
- 8 Nailsea pub crowned best in South West
- 9 Restricting more flights from airport would have 'profound implications for society', says lawyer
- 10 Covid warning issued in North Somerset
"I then edited the videos and put them on our social media site.
"I got people to talk about their business and what they feel is good about the area.
"We all complain about empty shops in the high street, but if people don't support them, we aren't going to have local businesses.
"My slogan is 'shop local, eat local, spend local and enjoy local'.
"If you spend money with a local business, more goes back into the local economy than if it's a national shop.
"If money is going back into the economy, it's going to increase employment for local people.
"I'm just trying to get people to support their local shops, even if it's just a couple of pounds a week.
"They often have much better variations than the nationals have.
"Local shops also support local producers."
Independent businesses can get in touch with Richard to find out more about the Shop Local campaign.
Freemans, from Portishead, is one of the businesses being promoted by Hunters.
Sales manager Jason Bamfield, said: "We did a video workshop with Hunters which got more than 2,000 views on Facebook.
"We are all in favour of it as it's great for someone to promote our local shops."