Empty offices transformed into town centre flats
- Credit: Archant
Nailsea town centre has received a welcome boost in the form of four new flats.
Helm Construction has turned empty office space above the shops in Crown Glass Shopping Centre into four two-bedroom apartments for the community.
Site manager Peter Newnes said: “It’s great to see empty space above shops and retail outlets being brought back into the public realm in order to help reduce housing waiting lists.
“Many of the shops you see in your neighbourhood have accommodation above – and not all of it is occupied.
“A great many retail properties – private or council owned – are sitting on spare rooms and empty offices which offer an opportunity to convert.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Newnes handed the keys to shopping centre manager Rob Stokell who hopes the new homes will boost footfall in the town centre.
- 1 10 beauty spots in North Somerset
- 2 Residents rally to support Save Weston Big Wood campaign
- 3 Eco-friendly grocer to open in Portishead High Street next week
- 4 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 5 Funding boost set to improve Clevedon Marine Lake and Salthouse Fields
- 6 Clevedon Skatepark shut over safety fears
- 7 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 8 Somerset pub could be demolished despite failure of homes bid
- 9 Blind man suffers leg injury in Nailsea pavement collapse
- 10 Clevedon return to top of WEPL table with win over Lansdown